Author Topic: Do You use Macroblock IC's (LED light circuits) - are they relible or not?  (Read 478 times)

Offline PP7BBTopic starter

• Contributor
I am preparing to do my first lighting design. Powered from low voltage source - 24V DC. I found Macroblock MBI6651GSD IC's wich is almost a dreamed solution - step down DC DC converter with dimming integrated. I ve heard Macroblock were/are popular in flashlights and are good relible choice for those who don't want/can't design switching coverter by themselves (me ;-) ).
Anyone used this IC or another from broad portfolio of Macroblock driver's?
I just cant belive that this cheap IC do the job - i feel that something must be wrong with this - bad thermal design or so... For example, Wurth 172946001 driver or MeanWell LDD-350HS are priced about 10 times ... Wurth and MeanWell are advised over net, I wonder why Macroblock is so cheap compared to those?
Have You heard about Macroblocks can You recommend them or dont?

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Do You use Macroblock IC's (LED light circuits) - are they relible or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:04:55 pm »
No experience with neither of these but the Wurth and MeanWell parts are modules, not ICs. I.e. they do quite a bit more than a bare chip (you get all the passives, inductors, mains filter, etc.), just connect power, load and you are good to go. The Macroblock part is a just the IC and you need to add the rest yourself in order to get a complete solution.

So it is not apples to apples comparison, IMO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf