Author Topic: 12V to +/- 12V  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Nickk2057Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
12V to +/- 12V
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:48:09 pm »
what i want to do is make a circuit to run a amplifier circuit like a TDA2050. but i see that it uses a + and - volt rail with center common. how do i achieve this?

Thanks.
Nick
just keep believing in yourself.. you can do some remarkable things in your life when you break through the ice and make things happen with the stuff you make

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: 12V to +/- 12V
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 03:01:31 pm »
for low current use, dc/dc converters would be the way.

most audio guys hate those, though.

otoh, the tripath or class-d you have in mind is already digital and extra dc/dc noise isn't going to hurt ;)

best way is to go with a center tapped trafo.  ct goes to gnd and the 2 ends go to a bridge rect, which gives you the plus and minus rails.

you could also use 2 single ended FLOATING psu's and make a center tap; either at the ac level or at dc.

finally, you could use a diode trick to convert a single winding trafo output into dual rail dc output, but it adds twice the amount of hum (half wave config, iirc) and under current draw, the hum gets even worse.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 04:05:10 pm »
Inverting switch mode power supply. Just set the frequency well above 20kHz and make sure that it never goes into pulse skipping mode.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:11:49 pm »
You can run that part single supply, primary drawback is need for large
cap to DC isolate speaker from part. Datasheet shows this.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »
What are your power output requirements?

If it's under a couple of watts you can use run the TDA2050 off a single 12V power supply.

Otherwise why not simply buy an IC designed for single 12V operation such as the TDA2005, LM4950, LM1896 etc?

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4950.pdf
http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/tda2005.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm1896.pdf

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:54 am »
Hi

The simple answer is : buy a +/- 12V supply and use that. They are out there and it's the simple solution.

A bit more complex: Spend $5 on a center tapped transformer (I just bought some at that price) and build a +/- 13 to 20V supply.

Either way, it will be cheaper than trying to fiddle with DC-DC converters and then quiet things down.

Bob

Offline Nickk2057Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:54 am »
well really a DC-DC converter is the only way to go with me cause i am making a suitcase boombox with aiwa speakers in it.
just keep believing in yourself.. you can do some remarkable things in your life when you break through the ice and make things happen with the stuff you make

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 09:06:20 am »
Might I suggest you look into something like this?

It's rated to output +/- 20..32 V, in the lowest setting comfortably within spec for the TDA2050.
Don't worry about the 350 W being overkill, they are most likely "Chinese Watts"  ;).

Edit:
You gotta love the Chinese for adding some important details:
Description:
- Main filter capacitor adopts imported chemical uf / 50 v * 2, 3300 in voltage up to 65 v, the other capacitor adopt Taiwan famous brand

Yeah right, Taiwan famous brand...  :-DD
What's that then, CrapXon?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:15:03 am by jitter »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf