Electronics > Beginners

12V to 3V High current Buck converter

(1/2) > >>

cowboy303:
Hay Guys
I was working on a project that needs a lot of amps (30 amps) and lower volts say 3 but I need to be able to run it from a 12  volt car battery.
I was wondering if any of you have circuit suggestion for me efficiency is kind of important I don't care about ripple that much.
thank you all very much and have a great day.

Kremmen:
OK, an easy one for a change :): Multiphase buck with synchronous rectification.
The idea is simple: connect a number of regular buck circuits in parallel and organize a phase difference between them. Say you operate 3 parallel ones; then their switches will be operated with a 120 degree phase shift.
For efficiency, the freewheel diode is replaced with a FET switched in synchrony with the main switch to minimize diode conduction and recovery losses.
Probably easy to locate a suitable controller from the numerous devices offered by DK, Mouser, Farnell &c.

mikeselectricstuff:
There are plenty of off-the-shelf DC-DC modules for this - used for processors etc. look for "POL Converter" (POL = Point Of Load)

Psi:
Obsolete computer motherboards may have most of the switchmode parts needed to take 12v and step it down to 3v.
Fets, inductors, diodes and a driver IC

Some work pretty close to what you need already. They generate the ~1.5v 50A cpu power from the 12v rail.
Others use the 5v rail for input but 12v is becoming more common because its more efficient at high currents

sacherjj:

--- Quote from: Psi on May 01, 2012, 03:21:13 pm ---Some work pretty close to what you need already. They generate the ~1.5v 50A cpu power from the 12v rail.
Others use the 5v rail for input but 12v is becoming more common because its more efficient at high currents

--- End quote ---

I never really thought about the current numbers on a processor before.  50A, that much?  Then I think about them being under 2V and still close to 100W power consumption.  That is a bunch of electrons flowing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version