Author Topic: 1mm squared wire to 2.54 pin header?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline jwhitmoreTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Software head strays into the Hardware.
1mm squared wire to 2.54 pin header?
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »
Hello All, I'm working on re-wiring a tractor. One of the computers has a plastic connector into which is inserted crimp pins. Now I have a strip of connectors which fit into this connector but they are from RC Model kit I have. I'm re-wiring the tractor with 1mm squared wire. I think that's more copper then would be necessary but that gauge is the most common and has the most insulator colours on the market.

I'll attach a photograph, including both my strip of connectors and the crimp pin out of the tractor's connector. So I'm struggling to find a connector like this which will take 1mm squared wire. I think I'm struggling as this style of crimp connector probably has a name but I've no idea what it is. Can anybody shed some light on that. In RC modelling I think it's just a servo connector but that's probably not a universal term at all.

Thanks for any and all help. I'll trawl through the thousands of connectors on farnell and who knows I might just stumble across the answer this time round.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: 1mm squared wire to 2.54 pin header?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:45 pm »
You'll be very lucky to find anything like that.  1mm2 wire is good for about 8A, more in free air, and there's no way a pin header connector like that is good for anywhere near the same current, so they are usually made to take significantly smaller CSA wire.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »
There are two basic types of connectors for what you show.  One uses a barb on the female part to retain it in the plastic housing.   The other uses an a finger on the plastic housing that fits into an indent on the female metal connector.  It looks like you have the latter type.  The distance from the mating end of the connector to the indent can vary.  I have my parts separated into short and long.

There are lots of choices, and without actual dimensions, I cannot give you part numbers.  The search is not hard.

As a general comment, my tractor (Case brand) used Deutsch connectors for things under its hood.  I have found my local dealer very helpful in identifying what I need, even if it doesn't have it.   What brand, age, and size tractor is yours?  Is it low current signals, like starting and pre-heat (diesel)?

John

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:36 pm »
minifit jr. ?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:52:37 pm »
Your RC connector strip is probably what is generically known as female "dupont pins", that usually go into 0.1"/2.54mm spaced "dupont connectors". Those phrases will get you lots of search hits, anyway. They're typically specced for awg 22-28 wire (much smaller than 1mm) and 3A max.

Your used connector looks larger than the dupont pins in the picture.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:54 pm »
Thanks for all that, I've had a closer look at things and yes the connector I have is a good deal smaller then the one out of the tractor.

Oh the Tractor is a 1997 New Holland 8360. I've not been able to gather much information from "official" channels but then I might be on the wrong channel or that tractor might be so old that it's no longer really supported. I'm not sure how the industry works.

So I measured and the connector from the tractor is 6.2mm before the edge for locking against. Where as my RC "dupont" is only 4.5mm and taking a closer photograph shows that they are much smaller.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
That tractor apparently is still supported by CNH.  Here is a link to its parts catalog: http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr52978

Maybe  you can find the part number and a picture and work backward.   CNH is not nearly as big as JD, but it is fairly common in parts of the US.

John

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:59:00 pm »
My problem is that the smallest part is the wiring loom. The plastic connector and the crimp connectors which make up that connector are not really part of the parts catalog. Even if I went to the local dealer I'm not sure that they could help me. I did enquire about the wiring loom and was told that it was unavailable. That's why I'm trying to find the crimp connector.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:29:50 pm »
I happen to own a smaller Case tractor, and I know what you mean.  Mice had done some damage to a wire and I could not identify the actual connector (turned out to be a Deutsch).  I went to the dealer (it helps if you buy other stuff too) and spoke with maintenance -- not parts.   We went out to the field truck and started looking at some of the pins for connectors.  Found a match.   Once I knew it was a Deutsch, the rest was downhill.

Note: Your situation is not unique.   No one, except maybe CNH,  wants to replace a whole harness for a screwed up pin or connecting wire.  The service truck is equipped for doing exactly what you are trying to do.  The pins are not in the catalog, but if you have the name for the harness, it might help.

Just looking at your picture, it might be a 0.156-pitch connector.  Resembles Molex, but the pins look slightly tapered so it may be another brand.   Anyway, that size or its metric close equivalent might fit.

John 

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 09:00:12 pm »
You might try calling a few tractor salvage yards (or visit if one is close) and see if they'll clip the right part of the harness from a parts tractor for you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf