Author Topic: Best option to amplify current? ( From uA to mA)  (Read 10915 times)

Offline RivaultUserTopic starter

• Contributor
Best option to amplify current? ( From uA to mA)
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »
Well, i've been trying to amplify uA current using darlington pair

I need to get it to 3 - 5 V so it can make the relay works

The input current will come from the magnet and coil that I've been working on ( Inductive electromagnet )

The problem is, I'm limited with source & time. All I have is neodymium magnet & coil ( which I also need advices on it )

I hope that I can create a current in uA range ( or is it only nA range???)

And I need that current to make a 3V relay works,

Any advice on the amplification?

Here is my darlington
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/dsc0272r.jpg/

Do you think it will work?

NOTE : don't pay attention to the previous comments, I made a mistake with my D pair before
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:31:52 pm by RivaultUser »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: Amplifying current & voltage!!!!! PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »
Nope. Not even close.  :scared:

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:09 pm »
You asked for it:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slod006b/slod006b.pdf

Read and understand - it is all you need for a long long time.
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
You asked for it:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slod006b/slod006b.pdf

Read and understand - it is all you need for a long long time.

Yep, excellent choice.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:17:03 pm »
Why so complicated?

If the need is to detect a current of a few uA and make it switch a relay then a simple transistor circuit is more than adequate. No need to go to op amps. If a single darlington transistor does not have enough gain then surely an extra gain stage would do it.

To the OP: you have the right idea, but your circuit configuration is wrong. Search online for a few examples of using transistors to switch a relay with a small current. You should be able to discover how to make it work. The classic example is using a touch sensor with finger resistance as a switch. Using two or three transistors you can amplify the very small current conducted through the skin of your finger to switch on a light or a relay when you touch the switch pad.

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »
It could be argued that using an op amp is no more complicated than using a simple transistor in an essentially trivial case like this. Applying both is about equally complex or simple if yu are not really interested in the finer points of circuit theory.
But putting that difference aside, i just answered the express question for links to op amp guidance. Mancini's text is second to none and in the intro there is also explanation of the simple transistor amplifier. That alone may do the trick + there is all of the rest as a bonus. Surely this is not the last circuit the OP will design...
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »
nice joke. the fun part is all consequtive transistor' bases are tied to the ground. i should have thought of this joke in the beginning.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:32:38 am »
i just answered the express question for links to op amp guidance

You did indeed, and I missed that question on first reading. Beg pardon.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:47:54 am »
nice joke. the fun part is all consequtive transistor' bases are tied to the ground. i should have thought of this joke in the beginning.

i just answered the express question for links to op amp guidance

You did indeed, and I missed that question on first reading. Beg pardon.
Nope. Not even close.  :scared:

Alexander.

Oh cmon mannn, this is not a joke.....
I'm just a beginner that needs help ! :palm:,

I need to change the uA current to at least mA, and the method I know to amplify current is just to use Darlington Pair !!!

Please, if you know how to do it please help me. I'm begging to you :'(

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »
I need to change the uA current to at least mA, and the method I know to amplify current is just to use Darlington Pair !!!

Well, use (or extend) a Darlington pair, then -- but pay attention to the details, as what you've drawn isn't going to work.  You even quoted the post that points out why!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »
Oh cmon mannn, this is not a joke.....
I'm just a beginner that needs help ! :palm:,
sorry dude. 1st me myself is not very good at transistor design infact i still dont get it really dont get it, i still dont have rule of thumb for it, its been like 15years i'm tinkering with ee. recently i tried to make a logic circuit using bunch of it and my circuit went whacky i tossed the idea right away i just replaced them with relays which i've known for so long. 2nd i'm a teacher but the way you present your idea... i surrender, i surrender dude, i think you want to move too fast. do you have a "firm" idea of what V = IR is? what is ground what is potential to the ground? the mentioned obvious part is where your transistor's base tied to the ground, man i dont know transistor but at least i know what will happen when you connect the base to the ground. i suggest you start reading while tinkering at the same time, someone above has given you a very good reading material. go read it and have fun...

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 04:19:36 pm »
You can experiment using a high power amplifier too.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 05:11:13 pm »

Your darlington pair should definately work; just use resistors to saturate the collector current where you want it to be. You can probably use a single stage common-emitter amplifier. If you're starting out with uA of current, do not bother placing a resistor at the base of the transistor (unless you're adding an input RC filter).

It isn't required, but if I was designing this for TTL logic I would tie the output of the transistor(s) to an input terminal of an op-amp and tie the other input to a suitable voltage using a voltage divider. This will create a comparator. If V+ of the op-amp is 5V, and V- is 0V, it will keep the output at exactly one of these two values at all times. It also adds a buffer stage in case you want to add a filter or load something.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:46 pm »
google a darlington pair and you'll see that the base(s) are not grounded, as you've drawn it.

Also, you don't need so many stages.  A single Darlington will work for 10's of uA.
You can either use a packaged Darlington transistor, or build your own from parts you have lying about.

Make sure the first transistor is higher gain than the second transistor in the pair. For example, a BC547B or C, which can have an Hfe above 400, 500 up to 800... and the second transistor should have higher current handling capability for driving the relay.  If it's a small relay, than a 2N2222 is common, it can handle around 500ma. However, keep in mind that the actual choice of transistor is highly dependent on the the load relay you are using, how much current it draws, and what the voltage drops will be. 

As poster olsenn said, you will want to use resistors in the relay circuit, to ensure that the current is where you want it and the second transistor is saturated when it is on, so that you have very little power dissipation in the output transistor.  When saturated, it is simply a switch and no power dissipation means no heat, and no need for a heat sink.  This is important, because you have to make sure not to exceed the second transistor's power rating.

Also, consider your voltage available, as well as the current. The Darlington pair needs above 1.4 volts to turn on (2 Vbe drops). If your source of current is also lower than 1.4 volts, then you should consider another approach, like a complementary pair (NPN-PNP) (needs 1 Vbe drop to turn on) or if your voltage signal is still lower than that, you will need a voltage gain stage first, using a common emitter amplifier.

At this point, a single op-amp starts to look more promising. But you don't need an op-amp unless you also need the included voltage gain it provides.

• Contributor
Re: Best option to amplify current? ( From uA to mA)
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 12:32:56 pm »

I need to get it to 3 - 5 V so it can make the relay works

The input current will come from the magnet and coil that I've been working on ( Inductive electromagnet )

The problem is, I'm limited with source & time. All I have is neodymium magnet & coil ( which I also need advices on it )

I hope that I can create a current in uA range ( or is it only nA range???)

And I need that current to make a 3V relay works,

Any advice on the amplification?

Here is my darlington
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/dsc0272r.jpg/

Do you think it will work?

NOTE : don't pay attention to the previous comments, I made a mistake with my D pair before

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »
without knowing anything about your magnet and coil, its hard to say what will work for you.

have you measured the voltage and current from your coil and magnet pair?  Chances are you are only getting a few uA and up to a few 10's or maybe 100's of mV.

Note that your 5 transistors in series is not a magic current amplifier as you think it is.  Each transistor adds 0.7 (700mv) input requirement. So your 5 transistors as you have drawn in a quasi-Darlington configuration (quintington??) the second transistor will not turn on until the first transistor sees (5 x 700mV) on it's base, or 3.5 Volts!

Now, you say you need 3 to 5 volts to turn on the relay. ... that's easy, it's the final stage.  But even a standard 2 transistor Darlington needs 2 x 0.700 volts to turn on, that's 1.4 volts on the base.
If your coil output is less than 1.4 volts, it doesn't  matter what the current is, it will never turn on a Darlington.

If your coil output voltage is above 0.6 V and below 1.4 volts then you need a complimentary NPN-PNP pair, not a Darlington.

see the first figure on the linked page : http://sound.westhost.com/articles/cmpd-vs-darl.htm#s1

If your coil output voltage is below 0.6v, then you (a) need more turns on your coil (if you wrapped it) to produce a higher voltage, or (b) you need a voltage amplifier first, to bring the voltage up to some level that can turn on a transistor that controls a relay.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 09:13:19 am »
without knowing anything about your magnet and coil, its hard to say what will work for you.

have you measured the voltage and current from your coil and magnet pair?  Chances are you are only getting a few uA and up to a few 10's or maybe 100's of mV.

Note that your 5 transistors in series is not a magic current amplifier as you think it is.  Each transistor adds 0.7 (700mv) input requirement. So your 5 transistors as you have drawn in a quasi-Darlington configuration (quintington??) the second transistor will not turn on until the first transistor sees (5 x 700mV) on it's base, or 3.5 Volts!

Now, you say you need 3 to 5 volts to turn on the relay. ... that's easy, it's the final stage.  But even a standard 2 transistor Darlington needs 2 x 0.700 volts to turn on, that's 1.4 volts on the base.
If your coil output is less than 1.4 volts, it doesn't  matter what the current is, it will never turn on a Darlington.

If your coil output voltage is above 0.6 V and below 1.4 volts then you need a complimentary NPN-PNP pair, not a Darlington.

see the first figure on the linked page : http://sound.westhost.com/articles/cmpd-vs-darl.htm#s1

If your coil output voltage is below 0.6v, then you (a) need more turns on your coil (if you wrapped it) to produce a higher voltage, or (b) you need a voltage amplifier first, to bring the voltage up to some level that can turn on a transistor that controls a relay.

I think I have to prepare for the worst, can you give me more information on the voltage amplifier?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:40:49 am by Mechatrommer »

Online AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: Re: Best option to amplify current? ( From uA to mA)
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:16 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current-to-voltage_converter

That's weird Rin shouldn't be there should it? I always thought Rin was the source impedance

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current-to-voltage_converter

And what is the type of the Op Amp that I will need???

Op Amp is different with IC right?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:11:33 pm »
yup the Rin is the DUT circuit i guess as in...
http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/opitov/opitov.htm

i havent done this only from reading, hope it helps.

FWIW i found this as well while searching the matter. probably a good read to the OP :P
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa122/sboa122.pdf

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »
Let's start from the beginning.

What do you intend to happen when the magnet is placed near the coil? Do you want the relay to simply turn on or off? If so, it's simpler to use a reed switch to either directly drive the load or a relay switching the load.

If you must use the coil. You need to be aware that the voltage/current will be proportional to the rate of change in magnetic field surrounding the coil and the polarity will depend on that of the magnet and whether it's being moved towards or away from the coil. This will mean that the relay will need to be turned on, say when a brief positive pulse is applied and off and a brief negative pulse is applied. A simple Schmitt trigger circuit will do this but if it's not sensitive enough, it will not detect the magnet when it's moved slowly but if it's too sensitive it will pick up noise.

If the magnet is moved very slowly, the generated current/voltage may be too low to detect without picking up noise, in which case you need a way to detect a steady state field. The reed switch will do this as will a hall effect sensor. A coil could be used if an easily saturated magnetic core is placed inside the coil and the reduction in inductance is detected when the magnet is placed near the coil.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:06 pm »
ah good to hear from you Hero. you just gave him a food for thought :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf