Author Topic: Mplab X USB and xc8 what a load of toss.  (Read 3096 times)

Offline AnksTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • www.krisanks.wordpress.com
Mplab X USB and xc8 what a load of toss.
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:49:22 pm »
Ive been programming this pic18f4550 for hours and every time I try something the IDE says that things don't exist. The you click compile and it sorts it out after your spent hours looking for the issue.

Ive found a work around for this issue  by adding __18F4550 to the macro list but for god sake what is wrong with this piece of crap.

Then I try to get some usb going. Well this has been the best part of a day wasted. They say that to used usb I need to go back to using MC18 but that breaks most of the code unless there is some obvious way to do this with out the compiler and IDE crapping out. When I first used microchip product this was defiantly not the case what has gone on with this once leader in the electronics hobby market.

Anyway rant over if anyone can help me out fixing my usb without going backwards then that would be great. I have found a few post on the microchip forum but the detail of how to implement a fix are scare and I'm sure the issues are based partly on the used of different operating systems and the placement of files.

Thanks in advance

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: Mplab X USB and xc8 what a load of toss.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »
#include <xc.h>

... unless you have this in each of your source files already?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »
Already tried that no difference all my other test code works without the usb stuff. The include xc.h dose have something to do with it but the main issue with the Ide is that it don't parse the files correctly and when it dose it wont update the text filters to stop the whining about bad paths.

The usb problem has been resolved by people but I'm struggling how to implement the fix.

This is the post but I cant get the files to work.

http://www.microchip.com/forums/m679588.aspx

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »
the main issue with the Ide is that it don't parse the files correctly

I have only heard of compilers / pre-processors parsing files. IDEs parsing files is new to me.

and when it dose it wont update the text filters to stop the whining about bad paths.

I challenge anyone to figure out what the above statement means, :)

My suggestion to you would be to go back to the very basics, making sure that you understand the ide, the compiler, and the libraries you are trying to use before you actually use them.

Many times, stepping back allows you to jump further.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:50:42 pm »
Well that's not what the microchip forum people believe how do you suppose the IDE makes suggestions and marks bad file paths. Its about integration and its utter arse.

It now seems to be down to me have a 64bit windows and my x86 folder. In fact you can remove the compilers from the equation and still see the issues. Just leave to plain source files there for it to use.

The compilers is not even entered into the equation until build time.

Offline glatocha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:07:48 am »
the main issue with the Ide is that it don't parse the files correctly

I have only heard of compilers / pre-processors parsing files. IDEs parsing files is new to me.

IDE is checking the source files and underlining bad statements. Just the MPLABX one makes it in horrible way. Missing a lot and so on. More misleading then helping.

and when it dose it wont update the text filters to stop the whining about bad paths.

I challenge anyone to figure out what the above statement means, :)

He meant, that after compilation when the compiler checks that everything is fine, still IDE underlines statements as bad.

Two thumbs down for it  :-- :--

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf