Author Topic: difference between rangefinders and distance meters?  (Read 5014 times)

Offline ixfd64Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
difference between rangefinders and distance meters?
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:41:37 am »
Are there any significant differences between a rangefinder and a distance meter?

I know they both use laser pulses to measure the distance to an object. But from what I gather, rangefinders generally refer to outdoors and military equipment whereas distance meters usually refer to construction tools. Am I missing anything?

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Re: difference between rangefinders and distance meters?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:58:23 am »
Are there any significant differences between a rangefinder and a distance meter?

I know they both use laser pulses to measure the distance to an object. But from what I gather, rangefinders generally refer to outdoors and military equipment whereas distance meters usually refer to construction tools. Am I missing anything?

sounds like you are.  range and distance are subtly different.  range finding approximates long distances, and sees a lot of outdoor use.  when you want to know where to drop a bomb that can land anywhere within a quarter mile circle, you need the range, the approximate distance.  when you are building a structure you need some known quantity of precision.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:19 am »
or maybe I'm the one who doesn't know.  I have no idea if I am right, only what I was taught, long ago.

Offline poodyp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:45:10 am »
A range finder typically is integrated with a spotting scope, with or without magnification, whereas a distance meter is just a box with a readout.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf