Author Topic: Measuring integrated passive components  (Read 1238 times)

Offline JolleTopic starter

• Contributor
Measuring integrated passive components
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:05:42 am »
I am doing a project at my university where i look at components for DC/DC converters operating at frequencies where the passive components can be implemented inside the chip.
I have no experince with this type of components so my calculations is based purely on different articles about the topic (so far i have been looking at the inductors, where I have used the modified wheeler formula for calculating the inductance and the paper "A physical model for planar  spiral inductors on silicon" to find inductor parameters including Q).

I will probably not be able to make a final design and get some components on a chip, but if I could do that how would it be possible to meassure say the inductance of a spiral inductor? If I just connect the inductor to two terminals I would expect the meassured inductance to be wrong because of the added inductance/capacitance by the connections from terminals to the designed inductor. So is there a smart way to do this?
I have tried to search the internet about this but could not find anything, so I was hoping someone here at this forum could point me in a direction where I can read something about this topic  :)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Measuring integrated passive components
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:25 am »
though i am also not from this field, i would assume the best way would be to work out what your material of choice is (silicon is not just silicon), as this will tell you a few of the properties you can use to figure out what non ideal characteristics your inductor has,

next up would be the process, each one likely has different layer thicknesses and ways of doing inductors this would be what would tell you your ideal value,

dave recently did a review on some silicon slides, the man that offered him them works in that industry, and in response to that video wrote up quite a few long and detailed posts on the matter, if no one else has helped by tomorrow I'll try and dig up the links (sorry horrible with names)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf