Author Topic: AC power  (Read 628 times)

Online PeabodyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
AC power
« on: July 07, 2022, 03:26:25 am »
I have a 120 VAC coffee mug warmer that's a capacitive dropper zener circuit powering an MCU which turns a relay on and off.  Even when the heating element is off, the zener circuit is always on.  My Killawatt meter says it's drawing .5 watt, 5.8 VA, with a power factor of .08.  What is my home's electric meter measuring as KWH that my bill is based on?  Is it the watts, the volt-amps, or something different?

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
Re: AC power
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:52:19 am »
Your meter indicates real energy usage by law. So KW-hrs.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline ksat44

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 04:31:38 am »
Most residential electric meters (in the US, anyway) only register real power, as Ground_Loop stated. Most energy used in the household has a decent power factor already, so utilities aren't that concerned about them (from my understanding, anyway). Larger businesses/factories, however, are often required to have meters which also record kVA and are charged extra if that amount exceeds the regular kW.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 01:37:00 am »
Your meter has both a voltage coil and current coils and reads the true watts consumed read as Kilowatt Hours or KWH. Factories with really bad power factors use capacitor banks which are sometimes automatically switched in or out to improve the power factor and reduce the excess current seen in inductive loads. The capacitor banks usually fail in a spectacular fashion and scare the shit out of anyone nearby!!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf