Author Topic: Adding External Power / Lighting / Functional Brake Light to Electric GoKart  (Read 255 times)

Offline bonifacioTopic starter

• Contributor
I have some experience tinkering but would say I'm a novice. I've done some modding and have made some simple things. I know this is something really simple for you guys.
I wanted to add lightning to a GoKart I have on the way. Picked up a Ninebot GoKart Pro. I haven't found much about modifying them. When I did come across something, I hated how it was done.
Want to keep things clean.

Would you recommend making my own lights or modifying existing bicycle lights?
Most existing lights I was interested in have internal batteries. So even after I kill power, the internal batteries would still keep the light running.
Just don't want to run around hitting 4-5 switches everytime just to turn lights on and off.

Existing lights on the GoKart.
The front light seems to be a LED cob strip. I'd assume putting something functional there would overdraw or be underpowered. I'll be checking this when it arrives.

The taillight might be non-functional. No lightning at all.

I did come across this light. Since it could power, could a hub be added for that third output?

Appreciate any ideas and guidance you can give. Maybe I overlooked something that's already out there.

Requirements:
  • Avoid touching factory wiring. Figured I'll get something working. Once I figure out how I want things set up, I'll start digging into the GoKart. Going in stages.
    Figured I'd hunt down connectors later to be as plug-n-play as I can later on.
  • Have 3 switches control everything. (1) Main - Power for all, (1) Front Light and (1) Aux.
    Taillight power would just be controlled by the Main.
  • Power to have 3 outputs.
  • Functioning Taillight. Dim when on. Brighter when braking.
    Trying to find or think of a way to do this. There is an existing taillight housing. Make something or retrofit something to fit in there.
    Was thinking it could have rows of LEDs. Half on when power. Then other half turn on when braking.
    Then figuring out how to trigger this. Add a momentary switch and trigger it by the brake? Movement/Magnet sensor?
    I found these switches that seemed like they would be good. https://magnasphere.com/switch-series/

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:38:28 pm by bonifacio »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf