Author Topic: Agilent E3648A DC power supply RS232 communication  (Read 646 times)

Offline jainchenTopic starter

Agilent E3648A DC power supply RS232 communication
« on: May 04, 2022, 10:46:17 pm »
Hi,
With RS232 port, I need to write PC software to set Agilent E3648A DC power supply voltage to 24V, then read back the current draw when I connect to a PCB board.
Can I use Docklight to write script to do that?  Or I need to use a specific software provided by Agilent?  I cannot find relevant information to get started.
Thanks a lot!

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
Re: Agilent E3648A DC power supply RS232 communication
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 01:38:40 am »
Try Python + PyVISA + PyVISA-Py:

https://pyvisa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://pyvisa.readthedocs.io/projects/pyvisa-py/en/latest/installation.html

To use RS-232 on this PSU, you'll need a Null Modem adapter as well.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent E3648A DC power supply RS232 communication
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 02:47:34 am »
You can use whatever software you would like that can read or write to the serial port. The "simplest" test would be to use something like putty or teraterm or hyperterminal, and type commands by hand. The E3648A uses a human-readable command protocol called SCPI.

The commands to use are documented in the user's guide of the power supply, and are things like "VOLT 0.5" or "MEASURE:CURRENT?".

The instruments are generally designed to be used through GPIB which has special interface commands to read status bytes, or send triggers, but the RS232 interface should be able to do nearly everything the GPIB interface can.

The baud rate can be set between 300 and 9600 baud (9600 8N2 should be the default) through the front-panel. (Note this is 2 stop bits, not the normal 1).

You can send a CTRL-C to the instrument to clear the RS232 interface.

You can then use your language of choice to communicate with the instrument (C#, python, etc). You can either use a native windows serial port library, or you could setup your intrument through "VISA". If you use VISA, then it would be easier to transition to GPIB control in the future, but wouldn't really give you an advantage at the moment with only a single instrument.

There is one more warning:

Do not use the RS-232 interface if you have configured the power supply to
output relay control signals. Internal components on the RS-232 circuitry may
be damaged.

Looking at its website, Docklight probably would work, but I've never used it myself.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:50:55 am by pigrew »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf