Author Topic: Redrawing other people's schematics  (Read 2608 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Redrawing other people's schematics
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:51:19 pm »
I found a schematic for something I'd like to build and it's published as creative commons.  However there's a one thing I don't like about the drawing itself.

The author seems to have lots of places where he unnecessarily crosses wires when they could have just been drawn going around the other side of the component.  The schematic itself is laid out physically the way the components would be placed on proto-board and the pictures of the completed board shows he used the bridge the parts together method.

This part for example:

The LEDs on the second row, I would just flip that over and run the line underneath so it doesn't go across other lines.

There's a few other parts like a line that zooms across several other lines when it just could have been extended down and around everything.

Since I only have this in JPG format, I've got it in MS Paint and am redrawing some lines to make it more visually appealing to myself and make it easier to complete on the proto-board.

So as someone who's not an EE, is it common for one person to redraw someone elses schematic to clean it up?

If you were working on a project that included a schematic that had been previously drawn would you spend the time to redraw it to eliminate things like this, or would you just deal with it because it's not worth the effort spent?

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Redrawing other people's schematics
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:00:49 pm »
If nothing else, it often helps to redraw something a few times for understanding.

I can't stand ugly schematics.  When I encounter one professionally, I can't help but screw with it.  The errors and unreadability are very distracting (examples being, modifying existing designs, or doing layout on schematics from someone else).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:01:10 pm »
I'd gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon before using this particular schematic in a project! Hell yeah I'd redraw it :P
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
If you were to look at the above part where you see the blue lines going across the green interconnect points, would you assume they were connected or not?

Offline MrsR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:44:22 pm »
Sorry but that isn't a schematic, it's a hook up sketch for Vero strip Board.

If your just new to Schematics etc. Remember to put your Vcc,  V+ at the top and GND V0 at the bottom.
In from the left and out  at the right side.
If you start that way some one looking at it can catch on to what you have drawn even if you have made a few bad parts in between. ;)

Rachael :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »
I don't know that they have a degree just a project that I found. They have this listed but also sell a kit with parts.

Offline Dinsdale

• Regular Contributor
    • pretzelogic
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 12:07:13 am »
Sorry but that isn't a schematic, it's a hook up sketch for Vero strip Board.
Right. That's not a schematic. But I think it's a layout for vector board. Vero layouts usually show the copper strips.
This can't be happening.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 12:42:36 am »
I often re-draw circuits or parts of circuits in order to better understand how they work! You only have yourself to please then.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf