Author Topic: AM Radio with Synchronous Demodulator LM565CN  (Read 1861 times)

Offline snowmix

• Contributor
AM Radio with Synchronous Demodulator LM565CN
« on: August 20, 2015, 12:30:57 am »
I found about a 100 LM565CNs at an estate sale and I saw the 2400 Hz Synchronous AM Demodulator in the data sheet. I can't seem to find the LM1596 that also shown in this same circuit. I wonder if I could use something else or if the signal that comes out before going into the LM1596 could be amplified with an LM390 which I have a few of. Maybe im barking up the wrong tree with this whole idea and I have the total wrong IC for the job.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/rf-technology-design/am-reception/synchronous-demodulator-demodulation-detector.php This is what got me interested. If I need to go another direction please let me know.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
Re: AM Radio with Synchronous Demodulator LM565CN
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:22:45 am »
  I have a Sony ICF-2010 portable shortwave radio. It's rather a famous model and was in production for a pretty long run. It has AM/SSB/ and synchronous AM. To be honest while the advantages from fading and weak AM signals was somewhat effective, the audio quality suffered compared with normal AM reception on a strong and non-fading path and I would soon tired of listening due to 'ear fatigue'.

So AM SyncDet does have advantages it may not raise to the level of expectations you might expect. So a lot depends on your listening goals, broadcast quality audio is not it's strong suit.

http://webpages.charter.net/n9ewo2/icf2010.jpg

Offline snowmix

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:57 am »
What would be the best for nice clear am. I was looking at the lady bird set up but I can't find those parts either.

Sent from my Studio Mini LTE using Tapatalk

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:54 am »
AM detection must be done soon - not many AM stations left.

AM can hardly provide high qualtity audio, not matter what type of detector. Its just the limited bandwidth of the stations and the senstivity to noise.  So the detector is the least problem. With good filtering synchronous detection is very good.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/rf-technology-design/am-reception/synchronous-demodulator-demodulation-detector.php This is what got me interested. If I need to go another direction please let me know.
That article is interesting, but SO badly written! Author keeps on repeating himself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf