Author Topic: Amplifier bias question help  (Read 903 times)

Offline reddish75Topic starter

• Contributor
Amplifier bias question help
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:50 am »
Hi, 

I've just replaced the output transistors and emitter resistor which was cracked on my Jungson amplifier and now the bias on the repaired channel is around 10mv compared to the 'good channel' which is ~90mv, it does have the same value (560r) resistors in both channels adjustable position.

My question is how would I change fixed resistor R269 to an adjustment trimmer, would I just put the trimmer where the resistor was and connect the wiper to one of the legs?

Many Thanks

Chris

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Amplifier bias question help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:57:09 pm »
Hi,

I've just replaced the output transistors and emitter resistor which was cracked on my Jungson amplifier and now the bias on the repaired channel is around 10mv compared to the 'good channel' which is ~90mv, it does have the same value (560r) resistors in both channels adjustable position.

My question is how would I change fixed resistor R269 to an adjustment trimmer, would I just put the trimmer where the resistor was and connect the wiper to one of the legs?

Many Thanks

Chris

I wouldn't replace it with a trimmer because you'd never adjust it near 0 - much of the range of the trimmer won't be use which will make adjustment tricky.  If you want to temporarily replace it with a trimmer to determine an appropriate value to get the bias you want, then that's OK.  If you want the trimmer to be permanently installed, I'd put a trimmer in series with a fixed resistor.  The best solution is to determine an appropriate value for R269 and install a fixed resistor.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Amplifier bias question help
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:03:07 pm »
I think that the bias is adjusted via the RW3. The R269 is to adjust the temperature coefficient of the Q89/D29 to match that of the other transistors.
To be sure, it is better to wait also for the advise of someone else.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf