Author Topic: Amplifier type  (Read 508 times)

Offline elkiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Amplifier type
« on: April 19, 2024, 10:47:56 am »
Would you consider this amplifier to be of the voltage-feedback type or the transimpedance one? If I am not mistaken, this configuration should work as a transimpedance amplifier with the gain I(R2)xR1?

Offline r6502

• Regular Contributor
Re: Amplifier type
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 12:37:43 pm »
Hello elki,

your circuit is a ac coupled standard inverting amplifier with some input filtering. A transimpedance amplifier translates an input current into a voltage at the output, so you need a current source (e. g.  a photo diode) for that.

Guido

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:39:39 pm by r6502 »
Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world - - Isaac Asimov

The following users thanked this post: elki

Offline Andree Henkel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 12:51:36 pm »
function may also be:

bandpass with gain

or differentiator with upper+lower frequency limit

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 12:56:35 pm »
With the non-inverting (+) input tied to the negative ground rail I doubt your circuit will work at all?
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline r6502

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 01:01:30 pm »
@ CaptDon
With the non-inverting (+) input tied to the negative ground rail I doubt your circuit will work at all?

yes, you're right. - I missed that ...

Guido
Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world - - Isaac Asimov

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 01:07:12 pm »
In the circuit shown the gain at the opamp is R1 divided by R2, in your case a voltage gain of 10X, however you are feeding an input circuit with loss (the series 1K resistor) and the loss increases due to the capacitors to ground on the input circuit. I suppose a rail to rail opamp can work with the non-inverting input connected as you have shown. I think your drawing would actually require a bi-polar power supply to work as shown if you connect that non-inverting input to the common ground reference. Guess it doesn't matter what type of amplifier it is if it won't work as drawn?

Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 01:42:49 pm »
It will. Just will cut out all negative output part and add distortions to positive. Such an 'unideal rectifier'  :bullshit:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 03:48:48 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I am actually using this circuit connecting it to a photodiode and sourcing its current from anode as input. That’s why I thought this amplifier can be considered as a trans impedance amplifier, since it converts current to voltage, but I guess I am wrong.

Offline MarkT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 05:51:25 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I am actually using this circuit connecting it to a photodiode and sourcing its current from anode as input. That’s why I thought this amplifier can be considered as a trans impedance amplifier, since it converts current to voltage, but I guess I am wrong.

The input is ac-coupled so it can't be the only thing connected to the photodiode...  Photodiode amps usually have the diode direct on the inverting input and the frequency response set by the feedback network.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 06:20:52 pm »
The circuit won't work, at least not properly.

If it works in simulation, then it's because the op-amp power supply isn't being modelled correctly.

If it appears to work in real life, then the op-amp must be going into phase inversion or something weird.

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 07:00:53 pm »
Even if you get the dc bias sorted out the ac voltage gain is less than unity.  At frequencies where the 10pF can be ignored it is a classic virtual ground opamp circuit with gain equal to the ratio of feedback resistor to input resistor.  The effective input resistor is 1000 + 100.  So 1000/1100 = 0.9091.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 07:02:54 pm by wasedadoc »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 07:08:51 pm »
Thanks again for your feedback.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf