Author Topic: Analog oscilloscope  (Read 1452 times)

Offline jose347Topic starter

• Contributor
Analog oscilloscope
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:45:33 pm »
Hi all,
I'm looking for an Analog oscilloscope model perhaps tektronix or hp, that has widely documentation and parts available, I'm not looking at much speed neither something to break the bank, but a model I can get broken and use as a debugging project to finally have an analog oscilloscope around?
any suggetsions?
thanks in advance

Offline GeoffreyF

• Regular Contributor
Re: Analog oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:52:24 pm »
I think that a modern low end scope would actually be a better purchase.  A scope like the Rigol 1052 has a price comparable to analog scopes on ebay and it's more useful.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Online N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:57:04 pm »
A Tektronix 453 or 454 would be a good choice.  Easily available, fairly small/portable, and very few unobtanium custom components which are prone to failure.

The 22xx series were also good (and a good bit newer), but some parts are getting hard to find.
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:59:30 pm »
I think that a modern low end scope would actually be a better purchase.  A scope like the Rigol 1052 has a price comparable to analog scopes on ebay and it's more useful.
Thanks but I already own a DSO, I just looking to have an analog scope

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:00:17 pm »
A Tektronix 453 or 454 would be a good choice.  Easily available, fairly small/portable, and very few unobtanium custom components which are prone to failure.

The 22xx series were also good (and a good bit newer), but some parts are getting hard to find.
I will look into them, Thanks

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »

I will look into them, Thanks
Tek 465B would be my choice.  I own one.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:33 pm »
Thanks but I already own a DSO, I just looking to have an analog scope

Good; that will avoid many standard responses.

I have too many old scopes. The key point is to get one that you can see working - all the channels/sensitivities, all the timebase speeds, triggering, and dual timebase.

HP1740s are surprisingly cheap, equivalent to much more expensive Tek 465s. There are other HP17xx, but I don't have any experience of them.

Tek 465s, 475s are good but expensive; I prefer my Tek 485 since it has proper 50ohm attenuators, 350MHz, and will trigger off a 1GHz signal. I dislike the bolt-on DMMs, since they make it more difficult to repair.

Tek 24x5s are good, but are fragile in some ways and one of the ICs is difficult to obtain.

Tek 22x5s are cheaper production line equivalents of the laboratory 24x5s. I don't like the timebase controls, but they work.

Other less interesting scopes: assume £1/MHz.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf