Author Topic: Aneng AN860B+ Dead on Arrival  (Read 3037 times)

Offline piguy101Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Aneng AN860B+ Dead on Arrival
« on: December 19, 2018, 03:15:13 am »
I recently ordered an Aneng AN860B+ multimeter from Alixepress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ANENG-AN860B-Backlight-Digital-Multimeter-AC-DC-Current-Voltage-Resistance-Frequency-Temp-Tester-LCD-6000/32895291227.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32ba4c4d5PIMwb

The meter appears to be dead on arrival. When turning on, the backlight of the meter is on, but none of the display digits are on. The main IC (bare die under epoxy) gets slightly warm. The meter uses about 400 mA @ 9V, which is excessive.

Any one else have this issue? Everything in the meter looks visually okay. Can I return the item or open a claim?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Aneng AN860B+ Dead on Arrival
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:44:34 am »
Open a claim.  I don't deal with aliexpress has much now, but when items didn't show up, I never had a problem getting a refund.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 03:13:07 am »
Hi retiredcaps, thanks.

I have opened a claim with the seller. This meter is definitely one sick puppy. I got an AN8008 from a seller on Ebay and that thing works like a charm. I wanted another meter to throw in my car or somewhere, so I thought the 860b+ would be perfect. Flukes are for the lab.  :-DMM

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:14:01 pm »
Not all of them.  Get a Fluke 101.  $40 on Amazon.  Nice little meter but it doesn't do current measurements.  I swapped out the PVC leads for some nice Brymen gold plated silicone leads that I have.  I keep it in my toolbag in my company van.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 02:38:40 am »
I've known about the Fluke 101, but I didn't realize that it was that cheap. Thanks, that's pretty cool. I probably wouldn't need current measuring capabilities for a meter left in a car anyway. I imagine most tests for such a meter would be for voltage and continuity.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:32:52 pm »
My use is going to be mostly resistance measurements for a pass/fail on a field replaceable unit.  In fact, I just used it earlier in the week for that.  I also picked up a nice non Fluke hard case for about $15 to keep it in good physical condition.  The thing to remember with the 101 is that it is an Asian market meter.  It's grey market in the US even though Amazon sells it so there is no warranty.  No need to worry about measuring voltage whilst in current mode so it will be hard to kill if just using it in the car.  For me, the lack of warranty is a non issue, especially for the price.  I'm worried more about leaving it behind trying to rush on to the next service call that I will leave it behind and not getting it back.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 02:52:39 am »
When turning on, the backlight of the meter is on, but none of the display digits are on.

OP, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your meter?  I just received an AN870, directly from the Aneng Aliexpress store, and it exhibits the same behavior.

Even worse, the 9V battery tray won't close when using an Amazon Basics 9V cell, which is apparently too thick.  I had to hold the battery temporarily in place to even get the backlight behavior.
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 04:30:44 am »
Um er eee it doesn't run off 9V, it's two AA batteries?

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 05:48:07 am »
Yep, something like that >:D

I just tried shoving a dead 9V battery into my 870 and I can't even close the battery compartment with it in place.

Offline rooppoorali

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 07:54:19 am »
Did the supplier offer any warranty? If so, I think you should contact them ASAP. Also try to change the battery if you already have not done that.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 08:42:44 am »
The 3V CMOS chip runs straight from the battery and is most likely gone for good.
 :horse:

Tear it down and take micrographs ;D

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 08:52:26 am »
Well this is quite embarrassing  :palm:

Edit: powering the device from 3V, it now beeps once, shows the backlight, displays the text "Error" and the battery indicator, then shuts off after 1 second.  I'm shocked it functions at all.  I took it apart, no visible damage, of course (a 9V doesn't have enough energy to leave any visible scars).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:18:33 pm by cellularmitosis »
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 06:02:48 pm »
I believe DMM IC has got a 4.0V max rating for power and maybe 5.5V for the EEPROM. OP was at 400mA and 9V it should have smoked. Time to reorder.

Why does it have Matryoshka doll battery holder?
pics from lygte-info DMM Aneng AN870 review
more DMM reviews here DMM Reviews

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 08:55:18 pm »
Does it behave the same when powered up into every mode?

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 02:02:50 pm »
Hi retiredcaps, thanks.

I have opened a claim with the seller. This meter is definitely one sick puppy. I got an AN8008 from a seller on Ebay and that thing works like a charm. I wanted another meter to throw in my car or somewhere, so I thought the 860b+ would be perfect. Flukes are for the lab.  :-DMM

In fact I think Fluke stopped making the DMM for the lab. Most of their DMM are made for tough environment like that of the car.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf