Author Topic: Annoying process to remove carton strip component  (Read 1892 times)

Offline JasonbitTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Annoying process to remove carton strip component
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:14:26 am »
Hello,

When I bought a new components and these come stuck in the card strip I can never remove them without:

1-warp one of the pins;
2-the pins stick with glue and card;

Exist any magic way to remove the carton strip component?  |O ;D (https://snag.gy/ncl4dP.jpg)

Thanks
Best Regards

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Annoying process to remove carton strip component
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:25:29 am »
I don't claim to have had your problem. Just pulling the component directly out from the side usually works for me.

The obvious solution for your pictured case is to simply cut the pins at the tape. They'll still be long enough to insert in the pcb.

The following users thanked this post: Jasonbit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:30:00 am »
If the card strip is new I can simply pulling the component. But the carton is older and be a little "wet" I have this problem...

The solution where I cut the pins looks good to me!  ;D

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:49:54 am »
Posted same question some a while ago, got zero answers :(, it seem that nothing is able to soften whatever glue they've put on the carrier tape once is dry, it's an  >:D glue.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 12:37:01 pm »
It's called "Ammo Pack". The components aren't supposed to be torn off the strip.
Usually the leads get cut at the edge, and the rest of the leads remains on the strip. Most usually done with some kind of (semi) automatic machinery.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:40:38 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: drussell, Jasonbit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 01:03:49 pm »
It's called "Ammo Pack". The components aren't supposed to be torn off the strip.
Usually the leads get cut at the edge, and the rest of the leads remains on the strip. Most usually done with some kind of (semi) automatic machinery.

It makes totally perfect sense! I had never thought about it!
Thanks

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 11:50:18 pm »
Cutting the leads also avoids the other problem .... glue residue.

Even when the component can easily be pulled out of the strip, there can still be glue residue left on the leads.  Most of the time this isn't a problem as the leads are pushed through the hole and the residue is well clear of the soldering zone, but sometimes Murphy will find a way for it to annoy you.  Cutting this part off eliminates that problem.

This is something I have found with banded TH resistors.  Resistors are easier to clean up - but not having to waste the time and materials to do so makes a lot more sense - especially as most of the lead usually gets cut off anyway.

Offline steradian

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 03:42:51 am »
I found this dormant thread while looking for an answer to this question. I am reluctant to cut the leads of components that I am consolidating and storing for future, unknown circumstances, so tonight I devised an acceptable workaround. I use a craft knife to slice the tape right at the outside edge of both leads. I can then easily peel the capacitor off of the paper strip, with the tape staying attached to the two leads. A pair of needle nose pliers can then easily remove the tape from both leads at once.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 10:44:38 pm »
The problem here comes up often so even though this is an old thread I will add one comment.   Flux remover, in my case Novec, can remove labels and other glued on paper items from electronics.   I haven't tried it on these sort of components but it is something to keep in mine.

I found this dormant thread while looking for an answer to this question. I am reluctant to cut the leads of components that I am consolidating and storing for future, unknown circumstances, so tonight I devised an acceptable workaround. I use a craft knife to slice the tape right at the outside edge of both leads. I can then easily peel the capacitor off of the paper strip, with the tape staying attached to the two leads. A pair of needle nose pliers can then easily remove the tape from both leads at once.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf