Author Topic: Antistatic mat  (Read 14782 times)

Offline GoatZero

• Regular Contributor
Re: Antistatic mat
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:42 am »
does anyone here know of a way to test is the mat is doing its work?, i have my grounding point and mat conected to mains earth however sometimes i unplugit by mistake, and i dont even notice, how can i test the "antistatic" in the mat?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:36:46 am by GoatZero »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 07:45:49 am »
does anyone here know of a way to test is the mat is doing its work?, i have my grounding point and mat conected to mains earth however sometimes i unplugit by mistake, and i dont even notice, how can i test the "antistatic" in the mat?
ESD Workstation Monitor (example)

Offline GoatZero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:08 am »

Is there a way to test the mat without having to pay 160 USD? a DIY monitor maybe?

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:59 am »

Is there a way to test the mat without having to pay 160 USD? a DIY monitor maybe?

A multimeter would work fine. The resistance between one of the snaps on the mat and ground should be just a few megohms. If you wanted a dedicated visual tester, a simple LED circuit with a high impedance input  should do the job.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »
The grounding plug that I have has a 1 meg. resistor for each of the 3 attainment points, so you get 1 meg between terminal and earth pin and 2 meg between two terminals. That makes it 4 meg ohms between my wrist strap an the ESD mat.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 07:13:48 pm »
Sure. Check eBay if you're after a ready-made product (used or Chinese clone), or even look for circuit designs online & build one yourself (impedance monitor that indicates high, low, pass; add an audible signal if you want if it's not within pass range <750k - 10M is what they're commonly designed for Pass range IIRC>).

A multimeter would work fine. The resistance between one of the snaps on the mat and ground should be just a few megohms. If you wanted a dedicated visual tester, a simple LED circuit with a high impedance input  should do the job.
If GoatZero was to do so each time before starting work on the bench, absolutely.

But the way I read that post (forgetfulness of what's plugged into a mains socket or not), it seemed a continuous monitor would help with this issue better than a spot check method/device (still has limits, such as needing a working battery). One with an audible alert would be better than just an LED indicator IMHO, as the sound is a "hey, you unplugged the ground" reminder.  ;)

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:54 pm »
Is it important to actually connect to ground or is it sufficient to have the mat, strap, solder iron, etc at the same potential?

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 09:42:23 pm »
Is it important to actually connect to ground or is it sufficient to have the mat, strap, solder iron, etc at the same potential?
And you, hence the wrist strap.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »

Without such a connection the whole system could reach a high potential with respect to ground. That's fine until you introduce anything that is grounded, like a scope probe, or a USB cable. It's really not a good idea.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 10:02:25 pm »
I plug my Grounding plug into the same distribution strip that all my equipment plugs into. The plug has an inbuilt 1Mohm between the earth pin and the external clip. The cord that connects this clip to the splitter clip on my ESD mat also includes a 1Mohm resistor. Between the splitter clip and the wrist-strap there is a 2Mohm resistance.

I bought my ESD mat from www.PCValet.co.uk 1200 x 500 x 2mm for approx £50. Solder resistant etc. just as Dave advises, except I prefer the grey rather than the blue. 

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »
So what to do if your entire workbench is behind an isolation transformer?
The only thing I could think of is still to make sure that the new virtual ground point is high impedance coupled to the real ground, thus to have two high voltage 1/2W resistors of 560k to earth ground.
It would still be safe since through 1,2M no lethal current can flow and it remains ESD safe.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:05 am »
The resistance of an antistatic mat is non-linear with voltage. Think of it as islands of conductors in a sea of insulator. Once the voltage applied is enough to break down the gaps between the conductors it becomes a good conductor to dissipate static. A charge decay meter is the most accurate way of determining its effectiveness.

http://www.idbsystems.co.uk/ESW/Files/ID-489_New_Data_Sheet.pdf

Offline Avotronics

• Regular Contributor
    • Rigol Hacks
Antistatic mat
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »

I plug my Grounding plug into the same distribution strip that all my equipment plugs into. The plug has an inbuilt 1Mohm between the earth pin and the external clip. The cord that connects this clip to the splitter clip on my ESD mat also includes a 1Mohm resistor. Between the splitter clip and the wrist-strap there is a 2Mohm resistance.

I bought my ESD mat from www.PCValet.co.uk 1200 x 500 x 2mm for approx £50. Solder resistant etc. just as Dave advises, except I prefer the grey rather than the blue.

Ditto. I got mine there, they aren't bad quality. 2M total resistance also.
Why would you buy something ready made when you can make it yourself with half the features for twice the money!

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:58 am »
Desco has a ground only plug with banana socket. There are similar products for other socket types.

http://desco.descoindustries.com/DescoCatalog/GroundingHardware/BananaPlugAdaptors/09838/#.UpfbAmRDuPA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf