Author Topic: Any "experts" care to chime-in on this power supply refinery problem?  (Read 693 times)

Offline wuddadidTopic starter

This is my first post so apologies in advance if I broke some rules.

I thought you guys would probably be able to solve this problem in a minute or two.

A youtuber called sreetips who refines gold & silver is having problems with his silver crystal generator cell. You can watch the video but essentially he is using a cheapo power supply to form silver in an electrolyte cell.

The problem is that the voltage on the power supply is not the voltage going into the cell. There is a voltage drop somewhere. I am thinking the connections are dodge but I also have been known to be a complete f#$king moron so...

Anyway, here's the link!

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
I put a comment on there.  He's clearly got a voltage drop in one or both of the cables he's connecting the silver cell to the PSU with.  My immediate suspicion would be that inline fuse holder, I've seen these melt into a blob of plastic due to a high resistance between the internal contact and the fuse.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:47:50 pm by mikerj »

The following users thanked this post: wuddadid

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
wire seems to thin and too long ?? it create current losses,   and by the voltage differece   how much it is ?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
The wires look reasonably thick, and it's only an amp and a half, so even though the wires are quite long, loosing a volt is still quite much.

But there is a weird yellow piece grafted in, and something that may look like a fuse and that can have a significant voltage drop. It also looks like a decent power supply with adjustable current limiting, so adding a fuse is not needed at all.

Switching power supplies can be noisy, and often are. I am not sur if that is relevant for electrolysis though.

You could measure the AC output of the power supply, but most DMM''s do not have sufficient bandwith to give a sensible measurement.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf