Author Topic: Any good reason to keep HP3457A  (Read 962 times)

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Any good reason to keep HP3457A
« on: May 09, 2023, 08:38:34 pm »
As we know HP3457A is a classic DMM, I can see at some online stores like ebay, where some other DMMs comparatively newer models are also available with a small price difference, I wanted to know is there something special with HP3457A that still attracts makers? or its something like most of people have good experience using it and that's why they still want to use it.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Any good reason to keep HP3457A
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 09:36:19 pm »
I'd say the main thing that distinguishes the 3457A from the later models is the ability to install a scanner / multiplexer card. Otherwise the 34401A has a much nicer display and more useful ranges, and even the older 3456A performed better (but does not do current). I don't think there's anything special about the 3457A over contemporary and later 6.5 digit DMMs from reputable brands.

The following users thanked this post: sairfan1

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 12:31:14 am »
Are newer DMM's of the same level, lasting as long as these old ones ?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 02:42:31 am »
As we know HP3457A is a classic DMM, I can see at some online stores like ebay, where some other DMMs comparatively newer models are also available with a small price difference, I wanted to know is there something special with HP3457A that still attracts makers? or its something like most of people have good experience using it and that's why they still want to use it.

They seem to go for a lot of money for their limited usefulness.  The only plus I can think of is that they seem to retain their calibration pretty well as long as no malfunctions occur. 

Their main shortcomings include the limited voltage range (300V) and the fact that the Hi-Z and best accuracy are only on the 3V and lower ranges.  The LCD display isn't great either.  The 34401A is a much better option.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline barshatriplee

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 03:21:47 pm »
It is reliable and long-lasting. That's why people love this DMM.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 04:20:09 pm »
The main point is the optional scanner.
Having only 3 V with high impedance is a bit anyoing. AFAIR the noise when used at 1 PLC is not that bad. However the 30 V range with the divider at the input is a bit poor by design.
For the display it depends on the light conditions - an old dim VFD can be even worse.
I depends on the pricing and it looks like the prices went up quite a bit in the last year. It tended to be one of the cheaper 6 digit meters one could get.

Offline Swake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 03:22:20 pm »
Over GPIB it reads 7.5 digits.
If I recall well it has more (low) ranges which in practice result in an additional digit available.
Edit: now that i think about it, it is not more ranges but that the ranges first digit goes to 3, and on the 34401A it stops at 1.999. In certain conditions this is very helpful.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:28:14 pm by Swake »
When it fits stop using the hammer

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 03:43:30 pm »
The title of your thread implies you already have one.  Unless you need to measure high voltages directly, or can't read the display there doesn't seem to be any reason to replace it. 

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 05:17:57 pm »
like many meters frome this era,  overpriced

but luckily on some models / many old models schematics can be found,  display hacks can be done too, and yes   stability  on these can be bery good, super good  etc ...

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 09:27:46 pm »
Compared to the 34401A the 3457A has some extra ranges at the bottom end so you can get 10x the resolution for chasing after small voltages, currents and resistances. I find the 30mV AC voltage range pretty useful for measuring noise voltages in low noise circuits.

It also has a higher ohms range of up to 3G \$\Omega\$. The accuracy is getting pretty bad on that range but it better than not being able to measure very high resistances at all due to other meters topping out at 1G \$\Omega\$ or even a miserable 100M \$\Omega\$

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 11:36:09 pm »
I have two of them and use them all the time.  I think I paid less than 150USD for each.  Both had a problem in their careers with a ca3086 transistor array.  Including these two of mine, I know of one other I helped repair with the same issue.  Coincidence or proof of an issue, can't say.

For 7.5 digits and pretty good stability, plus the scanner card, if you can get one for less than $150, it is hard to beat.

Jerry

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf