Author Topic: APC 1500 UPS sometime makes noise, is it something serious?  (Read 552 times)

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
APC 1500 UPS sometime makes noise, is it something serious?
« on: December 21, 2022, 04:39:29 pm »

My APC 1500 UPS sometime makes noise for a while, I want to know does it need some service, some part needs to replace OR its not safe to leave it running?  I uploaded video at Youtube for reference

https://youtu.be/KgtG6Dz1KVM

Offline argentas

Re: APC 1500 UPS sometime makes noise, is it something serious?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:28:57 pm »
Difficult to tell from the video, but could it be a noisy fan? I replaced the fan in my APC UPS recently because the bearings were on their way out and it was causing an intermittent vibration.

But in relation to your original question - how often is 'sometimes'? and for how long is 'a while'?
Does it make this noise when running from mains power, or only during a powercut whilst running from battery?

These UPS tend to perform a self-test periodically - I think mine is configured to do this once per week, and it lasts around a minute. During that time it will be running from battery power, the fan will be running, and there will be noise from the inverter.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 09:31:19 pm »
Are you sure that isn't the self-test?
Most UPS self-test the battery loading at least once a week by switching to inverter supply for about 10 seconds and measuring the battery discharge rate. This is how they report failing batteries.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 06:54:45 pm »
Sorry I missed the conversation. its not a fan noise its something like sometime we get from transformers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf