Author Topic: --ARE YOU HAPPY WITH RIGOL PRODUCTS?--  (Read 18837 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: --ARE YOU HAPPY WITH RIGOL PRODUCTS?--
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:28 pm »
Well, I got the DG1022 this afternoon, and I'm very pleased with it. Been checking it out for a while and it sure beats what I had (a GW Instek GFG8216A). Everything seems to work as advertised - sweep, arb, all waveforms ... ah what a luxury compared to what I had! Interesting thing is it has a screen saver option in the utility menu - my DM3058E doesn't, not sure why they don't have one in the DMM since it has the same type of screen.

In any case it's plenty good for my hobby needs.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline brumbarchris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:29 am »
but I prefer something I use all the time to at least not annoy me because of how bad it looks

That's why we spend so much time looking for wives, for instance.

Online Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 11:25:44 am »

Offline salviador

• Regular Contributor
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/mancio92M
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 11:45:50 am »
No, I have buy DP832A, This product have more defect  |O

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »
I really dont like the lag in the UI on the latest rigols.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:10 pm »
Oh, I forgot to raise my one major gripe with the DS1054Z: the colour scheme. For some silly reason they chose a similar colour blue for the math trace as that used for channel 4. They should've used something completely different such as green, red, orange etc. It has a 16-bit colour display for goodness sake, they're hardly short of choice!
green is not good along with the red or yellow for the few of us... http://www.color-blindness.com/2007/09/14/red-green-color-blindness-doesnt-mean-you-cant-distinguish-red-from-green/ but maybe brand name like agilent didnt consider the few of us...

why using two types of blue for channel 2 and 4 ?
one is called cyan, one is called navy blue, if one is to be more suck arse precise. go to painting artists or look at the pantone chart and see if you can memorize all the name of blues... muggle even say orange and red is in the same line of color...

and err, the math trace is more like a purple, not blue... there are new fancy names today i forgot what, its the dress color, but for me its simply purple, just less saturated, less brightness purple  :-//
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:52:42 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 03:57:51 am »
Oh, I forgot to raise my one major gripe with the DS1054Z: the colour scheme. For some silly reason they chose a similar colour blue for the math trace as that used for channel 4. They should've used something completely different such as green, red, orange etc. It has a 16-bit colour display for goodness sake, they're hardly short of choice!
green is not good along with the red or yellow for the few of us... http://www.color-blindness.com/2007/09/14/red-green-color-blindness-doesnt-mean-you-cant-distinguish-red-from-green/ but maybe brand name like agilent didnt consider the few of us...

one is called cyan, one is called navy blue, if one is to be more suck arse precise. go to painting artists or look at the pantone chart and see if you can memorize all the name of blues... muggle even say orange and red is in the same line of color...

and err, the math trace is more like a purple, not blue... there are new fancy names today i forgot what, its the dress color, but for me its simply purple, just less saturated, less brightness purple  :-//
Lots of engineers mourn the loss of colour coded resistors, and other colour coding around the electronics world. Few women have colour blindness issues. About 10% of men do. In most countries women engineers are rare, so around 10% of engineers are very happy to see colour coding schemes dropped.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 04:13:10 am »
I have only had my DS1054Z for a couple of weeks and I have done the usual stuff like look at counter outputs from an FPGA and decoding of a UART stream.  Nothing that challenges the scope.  Considering what I do in the sandbox, I may never challenge the scope.

If the scope is annoying, get rid of it.  If the UI is slow, get something else.  Life is too short to work with tools you don't like!

I didn't buy my scope to win a beauty contest and the UI works about as fast as I can manipulate the knobs so I think I'll hold on to it for a while.

I just did a sample of Math A+B using 2 bits of a binary counter on Ch1 and Ch2.  The sum of A+B is exactly what I would expect and the trace aligns perfectly.

A couple of days ago, someone said that none of the trigger modes other than Edge worked on the DS1054Z.  Specifically, they said I couldn't trigger on a character in a UART string.  Well, they had me going!  So I rigged up an Arduino to send character strings and, voila', the trigger is perfect.

Be somewhat doubting about what you read on the Rigol bashing threads.  Much of the information is wrong!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:19:17 am by rstofer »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 04:16:07 am »
[Lots of engineers mourn the loss of colour coded resistors, and other colour coding around the electronics world. Few women have colour blindness issues. About 10% of men do. In most countries women engineers are rare, so around 10% of engineers are very happy to see colour coding schemes dropped.

I couldn't pass a color vision test stark naked.  Yet I have no problem with color coded components nor with color coded wires (telephone pairs and candy-striped control wire).  But show me a red on black web site and I won't see a thing!  Weird!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »

I find the cyan and blue traces easy to tell apart.

I find purple and blue are more difficult to distinguish on the Rigol's display, even though it's easy on screen shots because a computer monitor has better colour than the Rigol's display.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 02:40:28 pm »
but I prefer something I use all the time to at least not annoy me because of how bad it looks

I'm a male and I don't consider myself really that easily offended or overly politically correct but that's one really poor joke :palm:

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 05:06:02 pm »
I'm a male and I don't consider myself really that easily offended or overly politically correct but that's one really poor joke :palm:
why? its the naked truth that i dont get why most modern people try to deny to this basic instinct, unless maybe they've been crippled in someway i dont know. ask yourself why fashion and cosmetic industries was, is and will always a boom. and plastic surgery has become boom boom, its just overly done and overly... :palm: i agree its rude to say it out loud in cross or mixed gender gathering, but i guess here is more men. i guess talking man to man is ok, but man to woman is certainly not.

[Lots of engineers mourn the loss of colour coded resistors, and other colour coding around the electronics world. Few women have colour blindness issues. About 10% of men do. In most countries women engineers are rare, so around 10% of engineers are very happy to see colour coding schemes dropped.
I couldn't pass a color vision test stark naked.  Yet I have no problem with color coded components nor with color coded wires (telephone pairs and candy-striped control wire).  But show me a red on black web site and I won't see a thing!  Weird!
interesting to know. so maybe you will have a difficulty looking at channel 3 of ds1000z? maybe not entirely blind since its not a sharp red (pink). in the link i attached, i read color blind people developed ability to distinguish colors differently from normal people, maybe they see red and green as the same color, but different intensity, so at least maybe they know.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:07:56 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 05:25:04 pm »
interesting to know. so maybe you will have a difficulty looking at channel 3 of ds1000z? maybe not entirely blind since its not a sharp red (pink). in the link i attached, i read color blind people developed ability to distinguish colors differently from normal people, maybe they see red and green as the same color, but different intensity, so at least maybe they know.

As with all things, there are degrees of color-blindness.  I don't see ANY of the letters or numbers in the 'dot' test.  I fail completely!  Yet I can deal with color coded parts.  I tried one of the online tests yesterday and didn't do too bad but it all about matching colors.

I see 'red' as what I have been told 'red' looks like.  Same with all the other colors.

Besides, we know that the red traffic light is on top and the green on the bottom.  Except for that one in Syracuse
http://gizmodo.com/the-story-behind-syracuses-upside-down-traffic-light-1545301615

None of the colors on the 1054Z are a problem for me.

Offline arobincaron

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 02:48:19 am »
I am satisfied with what I've seen and experienced with the DS1054Z I've used.  As complex computer based devices DSO are likely to have bugs and issues. It seems best to evaluate for yourself whether this a problem for you.

As far as quality: generally you get what you pay for.  With regards to Rigol I seems to me that you get above average value. That's good enough for me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 03:07:02 am »
I only own one Rigol device (DS1054Z) and it's still under warranty. So, for the short time I've had it, it's been fine and does what I need it to. Thus far, I haven't run into its known bugs during normal use. So, I'm a happy camper for the time being.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »
Rigol DS1074-S, bought just over a year ago.
Running version 00.04.03.SP2, board version 4.1.1.

I'm quite happy with it. No crashes or firmware bugs that bother me (yes, I know there are a few, if you look hard enough).
What I dislike is the fan noise and some printing on the front, whoever thought that white letters in a light gray box are easy to read? Oh, and the probes aren't very easy to take off the BNCs.

But these little things pale in comparison to the value for money.

The scope I use at work daily is an Agilent DSO-3054A. Of course it's better, but even if I had the money to spend, I could hardly justify the € 9,000 or so that it costs more than my little Rigol...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:35:49 pm by jitter »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
Oh, and the probes aren't very easy to take off the BNCs.

The supplied probes generally suck. Crap hook, dodgy switch, awkward BNCs, stiff ground clip.. But probes are just probes, they are, for this range of scope, cheap consumables.

Offline hibone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 12:07:05 am »

Depending on the angle one is looking from everything has "defects", thus one should take them into account when choosing. What about 4k$ with a crappy "UI"? What if they are Tektronix or Agilent?

I have a DS2072A-S, fully unlocked too, and I am happy with it.
It has its flaws, of course, but that's it.

When you need a feature that is locked away, and you cannot afford to pay for it just to use it once, doesn't that look like a bug?

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:58 am »

Depending on the angle one is looking from everything has "defects", thus one should take them into account when choosing. What about 4k$ with a crappy "UI"? What if they are Tektronix or Agilent?

We have quite a few Tek scopes at work and for some reason the choice had always gone to Tek, almost by default. Same with Weller solder stations.
Along comes someone who says "we're going to have some demos over from several other manufacturers and try them out first before whe choose". If you're a company, there are no problems to arrange that, the salespersons will flock to your door to lend you stuff.

In the end we decided on a switch to Agilent scopes. They felt so much more ahead of the competition at the time that the decision was easy. And if I see how sluggish that modern Tek in Dave's vids still is I can't help but think they haven't managed to catch up. Later we actually bought some Keysight scopes untried because we already knew what to expect. Never looked back to Tek and another department ditched their LeCroys and bought Agilent/Keysight too...

For solder stations we went to what seemed to be the new kid on the block at the time: JBC. Again, we never looked back.

It all comes down to choice and if I had to buy a scope for home use again, I would definitely consider the DS1000Z series again. But maybe now there's also competition in the same price bracket that's worth considering.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:12:07 am by jitter »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 05:35:13 am »
There's definitely more competition for the DS1000Z series nowadays. Hence, it's good to re-evaluate your choice of supplier from time to time, as you had experienced with Tek vs. Agilent.

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2016, 06:09:34 am »
YES

I've had my DSA-815TG for about 2 years and am absolutely thrilled with it.  As an educational tool for someone who is learning RF electronics, it has been my single best investments.  I try to absorb as much info as possible about spectrum analyzers & related test gear, so I've learned much about its limitations compared to higher end gear (with enormous thanks to W2AEW, Shahriar at TheSignalPath and others).  But I am solidly convinced that the bang for the buck is unsurpassed.  The performance limits so far have been inconsequential to me.

I've also had a DS2072-AS for about a year.  Originally, I was going to get a Keysight DSOX2014A, but changed my mind in protest over the shitty way Keysight treated me in an unrelated deal.  I stuck $1,000 back in my pocket and set my sights lower.  I run into limitations with the Rigol a lot more frequently than I would with the other, but I'm still very happy with the price/performance ratio.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:12 am »
That $1000 saved is like your own extended warranty.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:04 am »
I'm not really convinced about Rigol and their scopes. We have one in our club and I find it not very intuitive to use (used many years HAMEG and Tektronix).

I'll wait until I can afford a Rohde & Schwarz 1232 (which I will hopefully purchase this year).
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2016, 12:58:55 pm »
I've had my DS2072 for almost 3 years now. Fully unlocked, not sure what firmware.
Just the other day I noticed something. Had it set to RS232 decode and was watching several bytes at a time. Set it to normal trigger mode and it was as steady as a rock. Then turned on that thing that shows the byte values across the screen right next to the actual waveform, and the triggering was now lousy! Really hard to get it to lock, but if I turned off the byte value display it was back to good again. Hmmm....

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »
I love my Rigol DS1054Z!

It makes me laugh every single day.       :-DD

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf