Author Topic: ARM  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Lunat1cTopic starter

• Contributor
ARM
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:46:46 pm »
Hi, could anyone please guide me to the books and/or software I need to properly learn assembly language? My focus is going to be ARM7 for now as that's what I'm learning on.

Offline desowin

• Contributor
Re: ARM
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »
Andrew N. Sloss, Dominic Symes, Chris Wright - ARM System Developer's Guide Designing and Optimizing System Software

You can't go wrong with that book, the only downside is that it is a bit old, hence no word about Cortex in it, but I think that's not problem for you, as you need ARM7 which is covered fairly well ;)

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »
Family datasheets are often very good.
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »
ARM themselves have a huge number of free PDF data sheets and information books. Unfortunately not long ago they changed their sites so now all my links don't work...

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:41 am »
Learning asm can teach you a lot, just dont expect the skill to get you a job coding ARM chips in asm all day.
Asm is really only used in tiny micros or for very small sections of inline asm as part of your main C code.
ARM chips are so fast and powerful that almost everyone programs them in C with maybe a few 10line asm functions if needed.

Becoming an ARM asm expert isnt going to be a very good use of your time if you want to learn and work as an ARM programmer.
If on the other hand you just want to learn it for fun or so you can understand exactly how a cpu works at a low level then leaning asm is a great idea.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:30:31 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:40:29 am »
Useful to write some drivers in ASM on ARMs, especially if bit-banging fast protocols.
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline VIPR

• Contributor
  • "Lead, follow, or get out the way!" --TP
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:52:46 pm »
Here's a good but fairly expensive book (price of a good college textbook) that will be guaranteed to teach you everything there is to know about assembly language and the ARM processor:
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439806104 .

However, unless you are having to learn the assembly for a uni class you might as well just skim some quick PDF's on the subject and then go straight to using C or C++ for all your micro programming needs.

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »
It's a little tough as well, because any book on assembler, like the linked one is going to be generic ARM assembly.  Since they only make the core and all the peripherals are specific to the manufacturers you're not going to get anything specific to the uC you are working with.  I mean it's not going to be like a PIC or AVR guide with examples on how to setup I/O, UART, or anything like that.

ARM7 is not recommended for new designs by ARM, so don't get too attached to it.
Mark Higgins

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf