Author Topic: audio opamp oscilatring working as a FM radio in audio amplifier  (Read 770 times)

Offline HerschelTopic starter

• Contributor
i have made a simple pre amplifier and audio poweramp using njm4565. the problem is, the zober network in the poweramp section getting hot. the opamp is oscilating at maybe a 101.1 mhz. is there any way to prevent this?
how i found it oscilating at 101.1mhz? here is the full story:

I have accidentaly created a radio... After replacing the circuit with jrc4565 i changed the 220k resistor in the first circuit to 56k resistor and replaced the 2k preset with 10k according to my  needs and after turning it on, the zober resistor started to get little bit warm and the opamp started oscilating.
I accidently touched the input capacitor AND I COULD HEAR MY LOCAL RADIO which is tuned to around 101mhz.
I think my opamp is oscilating at 101mhz.
how to prevent this? i have never seen something like this before... can someone plz explain this?

(coppied from my previous post)

i have also attached the original pre amp circuit from eleccircuit, the last image...

• Contributor
Re: audio opamp oscilatring working as a FM radio in audio amplifier
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 05:01:32 pm »
how should i correct this circuits to run it properly?

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 05:03:32 pm »
I doubt that it's 101 Mhz, because that is a rather slow op amp. Probably it oscillates at lower frequency, but there are higher harmonics present. Anyway, that does not matter.

If you want to have stable op amp, look for these things:

1. Proper decoupling! (I see no supply decoupling capacitors at all in your circuit);
2. Minimize any parasitic capacitace at inverting input;
3. Careful when there is capacitive load at the output, usually some series resistance is required for stability;
4. General layout stuff - minimize parasitics, no long traces;

That should do it, in case there is still instability:

5. Cut excessive bandwidth by including a small capacitor in parallel with feedback resistor (R4 in your schematic), don't cut too much that it will affect your signal bandwidth;

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 03:30:53 am »
replacing the 10k prest with 2k preset did the job, no zober network heating. i have already placed the decoupling caps under the circuit..

Offline MarkT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 09:01:19 am »
[ Its a Zobel network, named after Otto Zobel of Bell Labs, lots of recognizable names from that source, including Black, Nyquist, Johnson, Shannon, Bardeen+Shockley+Brattain, Hamming, Karnaugh, Kernighan+Richie+Thompson...]

You should add decoupling if its not present, otherwise you are likely to be on the cliff-edge of instability by just reducing that trimmer impedance a bit you haven't necessarily moved clear of the danger zone enough.  Decoupling is not considered optional(!)

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 05:27:12 pm »
i thing i solved the issue... I just connected the negative of the speaker to the ground of the 12v powersupply, before the step up converter.

You should add decoupling if its not present, otherwise you are likely to be on the cliff-edge of instability by just reducing that trimmer impedance a bit you haven't necessarily moved clear of the danger zone enough.  Decoupling is not considered optional(!)

i have already added the decoupling capacitors. they are actually soldered onto the other side of the board(below the amplifier and the opamp)

otherwise you are likely to be on the cliff-edge of instability by just reducing that trimmer impedance a bit you haven't necessarily moved clear of the danger zone enough. 

yeah i already had that problem. but i have prevented it by replacing the 10k trimmer at the output of the opamp with  a 2K one which have solved the issue.

but if i touched the audio input(without the phone connected), the zobel resistor may get warm. I think, a small feedback from the speaker is still getting into the opamp.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 05:30:44 pm »
But why it picked up FM signals which lies in 101.1 Mhz? i have never seen something like that before... also the picked up signal was pretty clear...  i forgot to take a video of it happening :palm: also it only worked at that time
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 05:37:30 pm by Herschel »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 09:51:40 am »
But why it picked up FM signals which lies in 101.1 Mhz? i have never seen something like that before... also the picked up signal was pretty clear...  i forgot to take a video of it happening :palm: also it only worked at that time
The op-amp doesn't need to oscillate at 101MHz to pick up an FM station.

What's happening is there's a tuned circuit somewhere, which is resonating at 101MHz. This is being rectified by a PN (diode) junction in your circuit and amplified by the op-amp.

It's an amplified crystal radio. Normally crystal radios are known for AM (Amplitude Modulation)  but they can work with FM (Frequency Modulation). In your case, the tuned circuit will have a sharp peak, so the amplitude of the resonance will change, as the frequency of the signal changes, resulting in amplitude modulation, which is being rectified.

Here's an article about FM crystal radio, if you're interested.
https://electronbunker.ca/eb/FMCrystalSet.html

Going back to your problem. It's probably lack of decoupling and poor layout. The low level signals should use screened, preferably twisted pairs. Also try adding ferrite beads to the outputs of the power supplies.

The schematic of your output stage also isn't clear to me. Please use proper symbols, rather than just boxes.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 10:17:53 am »
I like the idea to rename zobel to zober network

unfortunately its named after a individual so it cant be done

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 12:38:17 pm »
try to reduce amplifier gain

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 02:46:59 pm »
The op-amp doesn't need to oscillate at 101MHz to pick up an FM station.

What's happening is there's a tuned circuit somewhere, which is resonating at 101MHz. This is being rectified by a PN (diode) junction in your circuit and amplified by the op-amp.

It's an amplified crystal radio. Normally crystal radios are known for AM (Amplitude Modulation)  but they can work with FM (Frequency Modulation). In your case, the tuned circuit will have a sharp peak, so the amplitude of the resonance will change, as the frequency of the signal changes, resulting in amplitude modulation, which is being rectified.

Here's an article about FM crystal radio, if you're interested.
https://electronbunker.ca/eb/FMCrystalSet.html

Going back to your problem. It's probably lack of decoupling and poor layout. The low level signals should use screened, preferably twisted pairs. Also try adding ferrite beads to the outputs of the power supplies.

The schematic of your output stage also isn't clear to me. Please use proper symbols, rather than just boxes.

yeah i also figured it out. it was the power amplifier not the opamp. I was actually making a 30 watt class ab amplifier that could run on single supply. but the problem is my phone cannot run it. needs a pre amp. single transistor preamps don't work with this poweramp. actually the power amp circuit is coppied from a random youtube video. also it was the only circuit that could be any loud otherthan the overheating ones. also the video claimed it could give out 50 watts which i dont think so.. on testing it that circuit could only give out 5 watts...

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 03:07:55 pm »
I've been zober for 5 days now. Do I get a star?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf