Author Topic: Audio signal conditioning / protection circuit recommendations?  (Read 427 times)

Offline cincinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm starting to play with audio signals and filters and I'd like to use my computer's on-board sound card to do some frequency analysis Bode plots. I'm concerned about connecting my experiments directly into my computer, in fear of sending in DC or over-voltage by mistake.

I'm looking for an audio signal conditioning and protection circuit that would protect my sound card from my inevitable blunders. I've looked around, but signal conditioning is a broad subject with diverse applications, and I couldn't find a clear answer.

I know this will involve a 0.1uF to filter out any DC... and something like a 1V Zener to keep things under 1V (line level), is that even a thing? Do I need resistors or input and output impedance? I'm in the Beginners forum, right? good :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Good resources on that subject, or good places to search for circuits also appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 09:58:26 pm by cincin »

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Re: Audio signal conditioning / protection circuit recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 08:25:43 am »
Fancy front end :  http://www.pmillett.com/ATEST.htm   

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

The following users thanked this post: cincin

Offline CountChocula

• Supporter
  • I break things—sometimes on purpose.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 01:28:57 pm »
Rod Elliot's website has a lot of good information on this subject (well, really, on anything that has to do with audio, including input protection).

A couple specific examples: Input Protection Circuits and PC Oscilloscope Interface, the latter of which I think does exactly what you're looking for.

—CC
Lab is where your DMM is.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 03:39:12 pm »
Thank you!
Off to read all of that with my morning coffee.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 09:10:49 pm »
I know this will involve a 0.1uF to filter out any AC... and something like a 1V Zener to keep things under 1V (line level), is that even a thing? Do I need resistors or input and output impedance? I'm in the Beginners forum, right? good :)

Get that pesky AC out of my audio signal!

But seriously you'll probably just want to make a buffer op amp with input protection.

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/circuitjs.html?ctz=CQAgjCAMB0l3BWcMBMcUHYMGZIA4UA2ATmIxAUgoqoQFMBaMMAKACUQAWQzkbbQnzR8BUcFyrCq06AhYAnLjxGDC+FWLDxILACYhCGFBsPHOYQcd10AZgEMArgBsALnoPrzqz8Ushr9s4uDABedAB2dPLuply+BkZcFiBWto6uoRFRMZ7JangaqYGuLADuHgX8qolVUGUVcdVm8ToA5g2c8fkUYMbSLADGIDiCtSONmowFhLDYKOZk2BZ4GJBgxFCwa-WxnYLje3XlsWOitToA9gYGvFSckKQpMnCEKEiS19gs2AVUAGIQKgMYTCJggABqF1cdladBYQA

Something like this has always been sufficient for me. In your instance you may not even need a 1N4148 in series with a zener diode, 2x 1N4148 in series will clamp your voltage to somewhere around 1.2 volts.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 09:58:06 pm »
Get that pesky AC out of my audio signal!

Derp!  hahaha yea, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT! haha. I'll go correct the original post to save what's left of my dignity.

Also, I love Falstad links. Thank you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf