Author Topic: Banana jacks  (Read 808 times)

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Banana jacks
« on: September 08, 2020, 02:03:51 am »
Is there any higher quality option for banana plugs for making DIY cables to be used with test equipment?

I can only find the very cheap   red and black kinds that are of very poor quality and the very fancy gold plated ones for A/V use. However, the A/V ones, while they may be built nice, don't have protective shrouding, and i want to be able to send over 10A through the plugs and not worry about it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, i've been hacking apart budget test leads from ebay for too long.
High school graduate

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Re: Banana jacks
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:17:42 am »
There are all sorts of options and frankly you just missed a long thread on this subject.   I won't repeat my post there due to the time issue.    However it is important to realize that you can order the parts to make your cables and jack solution pretty robust, just check with vendors like Newark, Digikey, Mouser and so forth.   Probably the most important thing here is to make sure you have wire suitable for 10 amps.

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 03:10:19 am »
There are all sorts of options and frankly you just missed a long thread on this subject.   I won't repeat my post there due to the time issue.    However it is important to realize that you can order the parts to make your cables and jack solution pretty robust, just check with vendors like Newark, Digikey, Mouser and so forth.   Probably the most important thing here is to make sure you have wire suitable for 10 amps.

I will look through your post history for that thread!
High school graduate

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:16:05 pm »
These banana plugs and jacks from Pomona are among the best around:
https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/products/banana-plugs-jacks-and-hardware/banana-plugs-and-jacks

Many are available at DigiKey and other top-line suppliers.

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 02:26:59 pm »
BC104, CL1505 are not bad.

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
These banana plugs and jacks from Pomona are among the best around:
https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/products/banana-plugs-jacks-and-hardware/banana-plugs-and-jacks

Many are available at DigiKey and other top-line suppliers.
Another vote for Pomona. Just got some 5-ways in to upgrade my solderless breadboard.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:24:46 pm by Ground_Loop »
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf