Author Topic: Beginner here, Help me buy a good soldering iron.  (Read 5682 times)

Offline l3gi0nTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Beginner here, Help me buy a good soldering iron.
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:17:55 pm »
I am a beginner and I am looking to buy a good soldering iron.

Here are the things that I want to do:

(1) Repair PS2 controllers: Change the ribbon sheet connector that has very thin legs.
(2) Repair PS3 consoles, change NEC Tokin caps with other types of caps.
(3) Repair/Re-cable headphones.

Here is the soldering kit that I have. I bought it for cheap. I think this is not the ideal iron: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N46T138/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the soldering irons that I am considering:

(1) Weller WLC100
(2) Hakko FX888D
(3) KSGER T12 V2.1S

Which one should I go for ? Any other recommendations in the same price range ?

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: Beginner here, Help me buy a good soldering iron.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 10:39:00 pm »
I would go with a T12 clone such as the KSGER, especially if your on a limited budget.
You do have to factor in that it runs on 12 to 24V and have to add a power supply. But it can be a laptop brick or even just an extra plug you make on your lab power supply. (maybe with extra small SMPS module)

Don't buy the cheapest handle for a T12 clone. There are multiple variants, the very cheap ones are garbage, for about EUR10 to EUR15 you have a decent handle.

An orignal Hakko probably has longer tip life and a bit better build quality.
With a T12 clone however, you can get a lot of different tip sizes for cheap, and they last quite a while. When the tip sizes you use most wear out, then you can consider buying better quality tips for those.
Then you have the best of both worlds. An assortment of tips for different jobs, and  a lasting one for your favorite tip model. (or just buy some extra's of the cheap versions and consider them consumables).

The cheap wellers are garbage. I've got a Weller PU81 with a WSP80 and it cost me around EUR350, and it's OK-ish and it does the job but not great. I'd rather have a T12 clone, but I only discovered that years after buying the Weller. Ali wasn't such a big thing back then.

My weller has two design flaws. First, the stiff metal tube that should nold the tip in place expands and contracts with heating and cooling, so the tip works loose and starts wobbling far to often. The second flaw is the small contact area between the heating element and the tip. It can not put it's 80Watts of power well into a thick solder joint.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:43:24 pm by Doctorandus_P »

Offline figurativelythedevil

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 10:42:33 pm »
Out of these I would also pick the T12 clone, active tips really blow away old school soldering irons these days. Another good option imo is the TS-100 or the Pinecil, I like the Pinecil a little more because it's all open source and has USB-C PD input, but the TS-100 is great also. They both use the same style active tips, also.

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 10:50:13 pm »
I was very tempted by the TS100 when it first arrived, but still prefer a T12 clone.

There is a very limited amount of tip sizes available for the TS100, and the tips stick out much further then with the T12, and this gives you less control during soldering, which is especially important with SMT.

Also, if you damage the handle or the tip to handle contacts ( exchanging tips is common), then a replacement handle for the T12 is much cheaper to replace then the the TS100.

If the small size of the TS100 (whole iron in the handle) is a plus for you then it may still be a good choice though, but for normal benchtop use I prefer a bigger readable display with a rotary knob of the T12, but that is a personal choice.

The following users thanked this post: figurativelythedevil

Offline figurativelythedevil

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:53:07 pm »
I was very tempted by the TS100 when it first arrived, but still prefer a T12 clone.

There is a very limited amount of tip sizes available for the TS100, and the tips stick out much further then with the T12, and this gives you less control during soldering, which is especially important with SMT.

Also, if you damage the handle or the tip to handle contacts ( exchanging tips is common), then a replacement handle for the T12 is much cheaper to replace then the the TS100.

If the small size of the TS100 (whole iron in the handle) is a plus for you then it may still be a good choice though, but for normal benchtop use I prefer a bigger readable display with a rotary knob of the T12, but that is a personal choice.
Solid points, I've only used the Pinecil so I didn't have this insight. If I ever need another cheaper soldering iron I'll remember this. Right now I'm using an ADS200

The following users thanked this post: WattsThat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 10:55:15 pm »
(1) Some KSGER T12 models have the power supply built in. I will get one of these.

(2) KSGER T12s are $120 CDN on amazon.ca and $70 CDN on eBay.ca, are there any differences ?

(3) Do these tips work well with a KSGER T12 model ?: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZD4ZHJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_X0SH2Q15FEEYX4S006BM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:05:59 am by l3gi0n »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 01:15:13 am »
Sometimes, when unmounting things, only hot air will work.  It may, or may not, be necessary for the reinstallation.

Google around for 'soldering techniques' or 'desoldering techniques'.  Lots of videos and web sites...

• Regular Contributor

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 01:44:38 am »
Functionally , both are identical . Neither ,as far as i can tell , come with a power plug . So that needs consideration.

The handles both take T12 tips and probably function the same . But vary in dimensions .

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 02:42:17 am »
I am looking at two KSGER T12 V2.1S: One comes with the FX9501 Handle and the other comes with the 907 Handle .... which one is better ?
They have the same performance, the main differences are in ergonomics: FX9501, due to the smaller tip's extension length, gives somewhat better control and less fuss with replacing the tips. On the other hand, it does not fit into the old stands designed for Hakko 936 clones.

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 02:52:14 am »
Sometimes, when unmounting things, only hot air will work.  It may, or may not, be necessary for the reinstallation.

Google around for 'soldering techniques' or 'desoldering techniques'.  Lots of videos and web sites...

I chose the handle with the shorter tip to handle difference. Also I don't want to have to turn a collar to change tips.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 03:28:20 am »
Are there any other handles out there that are compatible with the Ksger ? links please.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 03:33:09 am »
I would go with a T12 clone

+1 for T12 clone with genuine TIP on it.
You can get the soldering station for like USD$40 on places like aliexpress, then pay $25 for a genuine tip.

That is by far the best value for money.

Though im not sure which ones have a good handle and which ones dont. Might have to look at some reviews.

The KSGER one mentioned above looks similar to one a friend got who is really happy with it.

I recommend a medium/small knife tip for general use. You can use the point for small stuff and the long edge for bigger stuff.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 03:38:24 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 03:38:32 am »
You can get the soldering station for like USD$40 on places like aliexpress, then pay $20 for a genuine tip.

Can you post a link to where I can buy a genuine T12 tip ? All the ones I see on amazon.ca don't look genuine...

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 03:44:34 am »
I believe you can interchange T12 and T15 tips, but wait for someone else to confirm that.

For some reason i'm having issues finding any T12/T15 at genuine stores.  Maybe they are trying to obsolete it due to all the clones haha

Next up... serialized iron tips.

I do recall that the tip that my friend got with his aliexpress iron was actually ok, but non-genuine tips really are a lottery.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 03:50:18 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline MultiMike

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 04:03:14 am »
(1) Some KSGER T12 models have the power supply built in. I will get one of these.

That's what I bought.   I can see the appeal of the ones without the power supply if you wanted to do remote work (you could run it off of a pair of car batteries in series).

(2) KSGER T12s are $120 CDN on amazon.ca and $70 CDN on eBay.ca, are there any differences ?

I bought this one:
https://www.banggood.com/KSGER-T12-STM32-V3_1S-Welding-Soldering-Iron-Station-OLED-DIY-Plastic-Handle-Electric-Tools-Quick-Heating-T12-Iron-Tips-8s-Tins-907-9501-Handle-with-3Pcs-T12-Tips-p-1695566.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=514178

I am very happy with it.   I had it shipped from the 'states, but it took longer to arrive than other things I ordered that came straight from China.  It comes with usable tips.   Some don't like this style of handle as much because the stickout is longer, but it has the benefit of locking the tip in so it can't loosen up when you use it.

Strictly speaking any T12 tip should work in the KSGER, but if it's a really bizarre one, like something that is supposed to unsolder an entire quad chip in one go, then the tip might not exist in the tip selection menu so maybe the calibration would be more annoying.   The tips that came with the one I bought were a D24 which is a chisel/screwdriver tip about 1/8" wide, which is what I use virtually all of the time, a thin point that may have value soldering surface mount components, and comes in handy clearing out through-holes in boards, and a knife tip which has value when soldering wires together or welding a big MOSFET or something like that down.

Some people whine about the standby mode, but you can set the delay or even turn it off.   I leave mine with a 5 minute standby at 50C.  This thing heats up so bloody fast that it doesn't matter.  By the time I'm done thinking about what I'm going to do it's ready to go.   I like my KSGER way more than I like the Weller station that I have at work (which is not a high-end Weller station... one of those new 110NA or whatever things).

Mike

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 04:09:45 am »
Have a look at the KSGER official store on AliExpress, and see all the products they offer. Then decide if you want to buy directly via AliExpress, or some other shopping site:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1486111

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 08:28:56 pm »
Is the official KSGER store on aliexpress legit ? or should I buy from the official KSGER store on amazon.ca ? is the quality different ?

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 09:17:55 pm »
Is the official KSGER store on aliexpress legit ? or should I buy from the official KSGER store on amazon.ca ? is the quality different ?

AFAIK, the official KSGER store on AliExpress is legit, as are other official stores on AliExpress. The reason why I recommended to look on the official store on AliExpress is that time and time again, when I look at official stores on Amazon, they're far from complete, compared to on AliExpress, specifically for Chinese manufacturers. I've never see an official store of a Chinese manufacturer on Amazon list all the company products. I'm not sure why that is nor do I know if it's just a coincidence in the stores I've checked or not.

Offline MultiMike

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 09:20:20 pm »

I bought mine off of Banggood, and it's been working well for me.  I can't speak to Amazon or Ali Express.  There are other versions of this same soldering station, like the Quicki, which is even cheaper, but I like the KSGER 3.1 that I bought.  It doesn't come with an iron rest, though.  I bought the generic fake Hakko one and it fits this iron just fine.  I have heard that the aluminum irons don't fit that one.

Mike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 09:38:27 pm »
OK I ordered a V3.1S and the following tips: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32758473985.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da34c4dVjLnys

Are the tips compatible with the V3.1S ?

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 09:49:30 pm »

I bought mine off of Banggood, and it's been working well for me.  I can't speak to Amazon or Ali Express.  There are other versions of this same soldering station, like the Quicki, which is even cheaper, but I like the KSGER 3.1 that I bought.  It doesn't come with an iron rest, though.  I bought the generic fake Hakko one and it fits this iron just fine.  I have heard that the aluminum irons don't fit that one.

Mike

I just had a look on Banggood. I never use them, nor really ever visit the site anymore, and one visit made me realize just how horrible they are and the reason I avoid them at all costs. For instance, searching for KSGER products, for the life of me, I can't even see who the vendor is for any of the items. It might be direct from KSGER, or it might not be. There's nothing to show the satisfaction customers have with the vendor, and a ton of other features that are available with AliExpress. If I'm doing something wrong, someone please explain to me, how do you see who the vendor is on Banggood, and how do you see the satisfaction rating and reviews of that vendor?

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 09:57:30 pm »
OK I ordered a V3.1S and the following tips: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32758473985.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da34c4dVjLnys

Are the tips compatible with the V3.1S ?

Sometimes (most of the times) the English of the vendors on AliExpress leaves a lot to be desired. It's one of the disadvantages of buying direct. But usually you can make it out if you pause for a bit to think what they're saying. For the item you questioned about, they say in the description, "Apply soldering station: STM32 OLED, FX-951, STC T12, all KSGER station." To me, it means it's compatible.

Offline MultiMike

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 09:50:09 am »
I just had a look on Banggood. I never use them, nor really ever visit the site anymore, and one visit made me realize just how horrible they are and the reason I avoid them at all costs. For instance, searching for KSGER products, for the life of me, I can't even see who the vendor is for any of the items. It might be direct from KSGER, or it might not be. There's nothing to show the satisfaction customers have with the vendor, and a ton of other features that are available with AliExpress. If I'm doing something wrong, someone please explain to me, how do you see who the vendor is on Banggood, and how do you see the satisfaction rating and reviews of that vendor?

Honestly, I've never thought about it.   I look at the reviews for the item, the brand name of the item, and the satisfaction rating for that item, and if people are bitching about poor customer service, etc. then that would certainly affect my interest in the item, but I've never really cared who was selling it.   I have received everything I have purchased and I haven't had a problem.  Delivery times vary, but I expect that.   I assume your worry is that you could be getting counterfeit product.   That's a valid worry, but it's not one that has affected my purchasing as yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf