Author Topic: Voltage Drop Over Length of Wire - 24VDC/12VDC  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Yamaha32088Topic starter

Voltage Drop Over Length of Wire - 24VDC/12VDC
« on: April 13, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »
I am looking at cleaning up the CCTV system at work when we move to the new office because in the current state it is a complete rats nest. I found a CCTV Hub that allows you to power and extract video from CAT5 cables cleanly. Our current setup uses several Baluns on each end so this would help eliminate it on one end and keep it looking nice in a rack-mount format.

My question is they are stating in the documentation that in Power-Thru Mode using 3 pairs of UTP at 24VAC, 5VA the power signal is able to be carried a maximum of 518 FT. Our cameras are going to be a little more than half of that distance away which would be fine and dandy except the cameras we are using have a 12VDC power requirement. So I am wondering if I will still get that kind of range with our current power supplies. The power supply we are using outputs 12VDC with a max of 1.1A per Channel.

I have linked the spec sheet and the webpage of our current power supply and the CCTV Hub I am thinking about purchasing.

https://www.mrsupply.com/winic-power-supply-12vdc-9p-5a.html
https://www.elvessupply.com/assets/pdfs/VENC/61/Datasheet/VENC-500131.pdf

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Voltage Drop Over Length of Wire - 24VDC/12VDC
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 06:30:12 pm »
What you are describing is a standard PoE injector. In fact, I use an 8 port PoE injector to power some remote UBNT radios (but only use 2 ports). The unit was originally sold for CCTV, but works well for my needs. The one I use has no internal power source, but lets you connect your own power.
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Voltage Drop Over Length of Wire - 24VDC/12VDC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:07:40 pm »
Cat5e has a resistance of <0.188Ohms per meter.

518 ft = 160m.
Let's say you are going for 100m:

total resistance per wire = 0.188Ohms * 100meters.
You have 3 wires in parallel = (0.188Ohms * 100meters) / 3
Multiply by two for the return: Total resistance = ((0.188Ohms * 100meters) / 3) * 2 = 12.53 Ohms

Voltage Drop at 1.5A:

1.5A * 12.53Ohms = 18.8V drop across the cables!

Try a PoE boost at 48Vdc then regulate at the end of the cable to 12Vdc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf