Author Topic: Bench power supply  (Read 2976 times)

Offline LukeriskoTopic starter

Bench power supply
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:27:31 pm »

Hey guys i am begginer Electrical Hobbyist and i want to ask which Lab power supply should i get out of this 2:

https://www.tipa.eu/en/laboratory-power-supply-geti-glps-3005-0-30v-0-5a/d-181977/

Or this one

https://www.tipa.eu/en/power-supply-uni-t-utp1303-0-32v-0-3a/d-174935/
Thanks

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
Re: Bench power supply
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:12:59 pm »
One gives 30 V - 5A and the other gives 32 V - 3 A. Everything else being equal I would probably go with 30 V - 5A as I am more like to need the two extra amps than the two extra volts. Then again you are paying a premium for that.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: Lukerisko

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:33 pm »
 Okay thanks.But i am still wondering why that Uni T costs more when it has lower amperage.Is it because of some protection or just because of brand?

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:38:28 pm »
I don't know what price you are seeing but I see it at a lower price.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:17 pm »
The Uni T is on sale. Normal price is 89.366 €

Offline mvs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:06 pm »
Okay thanks.But i am still wondering why that Uni T costs more when it has lower amperage.Is it because of some protection or just because of brand?
Its just because of the weight :)

Uni-T is a linear supply and another one is noisy switch mode with large cap across its terminals.

PS i do not know how well build is this Uni-T model, previous one (UTP305) was not that great.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:47 pm »
Thanks for the answer.I dont really care about the noise so i will probably get the switching one.

Offline mvs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:07 pm »
I dont really care about the noise so i will probably get the switching one.
With noise i mean voltage ripple, not acoustic noise.

OEM of this switching supply is QJE, original model is PS3005.
Build quality is ok for the price (around 50-60 Euros), fan has temperature switch and is usually off.

I have 3A version of this supply and use it from time to time to charge car battery or to boost my primary supplies.

Users at german electronic forum have developed add-on board to make hybrid supply (SMPS + linear) out of it. Perhaps i will convert mine also.
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/332688#4784102

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:45:50 am »
I want the power supply for begginer projects not for any professional stuff.So you think the 30V 5A is better?

Offline mvs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 11:15:14 am »
I want the power supply for begginer projects not for any professional stuff.So you think the 30V 5A is better?
This supplies serve a bit different purposes, so there is no better or worser. It is just up to your projects.

Linear supplies have better transient response, faster CV-CC switching, lower ripple. Usually it is prefered type of lab power supply at the bench.

Switching supplies are more energy efficient, smaller and do have lower weight. They are good at providing bulk power, like to charge batteries, run DC motors, some other power electronic stuff.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 03:48:24 pm »
I plan on some simple arduino circuits or circuits with 555timer.So you think the 3A version will be enough?

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »
Yeah, for that type of project I would go with 3A linear.

Offline techguru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »
Hi

Better built a power supply by yourself. It will be good journey to explore and understand the circuits in this forum.  all the best for your design.Thank you all.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 05:36:50 pm »
I plan on some simple arduino circuits or circuits with 555timer.So you think the 3A version will be enough?
For that a 9V/100mA power supply is enough. A chance you destroy your arduino will be smaller too.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 06:19:31 pm »
If those are your only two options, I'd go with the Uni-T mostly because it's a linear type. But really, if all you're doing is Arduino and other simple circuits, plain old AC adapters are probably good enough. Just use one of appropriate voltage with sufficient current.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 06:40:56 pm »
For that a 9V/100mA power supply is enough. A chance you destroy your arduino will be smaller too.

I agree. The only thing is that a 3A linear gives you more possibilities for the future in a general lab setting.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 07:54:04 pm »
Okey i ll get the Uni T one. you never know maybe in the future i will do some bigger projects.Thanks everyone for answers

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 03:08:07 am »
I have a clone of the QJE switching power supply (30V/5A) and it is frequently subjected to very large loads under various conditions - it never gave up or showed strange behaviour. Its overall performace is quite reasonable for the price. The annoyance as mentioned before and it is the large capacitor at the output, which under smaller loads tends to reduce the voltage at a slower pace than your control.

However, the problem of the clones is that you can never precisely tell the build quality and performance from photographs - they tend to vary greatly.  The Uni-T is, at least, a better known brand. If there are no reviews out there, make sure you get a reasonable warranty and/or good return conditions in case things don't work from the get go.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf