Electronics > Beginners

Best Digital Oscilloscope Under $400USD?

(1/6) > >>

LooseJunkHater:
I know this question has probably be asked (and answered) a lot, so feel free to link a topic with it.

I'm looking for a good beginner DSO (not one with a CRT) under $400USD. I'd preferably buy from EBay, but that is not mandatory. I have no preference on used or new. I currently have a JYE-Tech DSO062, so I know some of the basics of oscilloscopes and how to avoid frying it.

Required features:

- Single-shot mode
- Run/Stop
- 2 channels minimum (I likely won't need 4 channels as this is a hobby, so it's not a required feature)
- Measuring frequencies above 10MHz
- Trigger

Nice-To-Haves:
- Being able to hack the scope for additional features would be nice
- Built-in variable signal generator
- Built-in Spectrum analyzer (more important to me then a signal gen)
- Bus decoding functions
- PC USB Support (ex. to control and view the waveform on a PC)

I currently mostly mess around with buck/boost converters, basic transistors, op-amps (audio purposes), and repairing of AC->DC Power supplies, but I'd like this scope to give me the opportunity to learn more in the future.

Thanks strangers

ataradov:
I would say that  Rigol DS1054Z still holds its value at that price point, you can get it even cheaper. And it is plenty hackable, now officially.

And for the signal generator consider UTG962 (or UTG932, which may be hackable too) - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-utg932utg962-200msas-function-arbitrary-waveform-generator-220394/

Doctorandus_P:
You're at the bottom of where "good" scopes begin.

I haven't kept up what the "unofficial" bandwidth of the Rigol 1054Z is.

Maybe Siglent SDS1202X-E is worth looking at. It only has two channels, but it's got "200MHz" printed on the front, and from reviews I've read Siglent (not sure of this model) has a much better spectrum analyzer. The difference is "mostly a toy" in Rigol" and "pretty usable" in Siglent. (But not on par with a dedicated spectrum analyzer).

ledtester:

--- Quote from: Doctorandus_P on May 17, 2021, 12:57:04 am ---
I haven't kept up what the "unofficial" bandwidth of the Rigol 1054Z is.

--- End quote ---

It's well above 100 MHz:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-bandwidth/msg1095407/#msg1095407

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: LooseJunkHater on May 16, 2021, 05:24:20 pm ---I know this question has probably be asked (and answered) a lot, so feel free to link a topic with it.

I'm looking for a good beginner DSO (not one with a CRT) under $400USD. I'd preferably buy from EBay, but that is not mandatory. I have no preference on used or new. I currently have a JYE-Tech DSO062, so I know some of the basics of oscilloscopes and how to avoid frying it.

Required features:

- Single-shot mode
- Run/Stop
- 2 channels minimum (I likely won't need 4 channels as this is a hobby, so it's not a required feature)
- Measuring frequencies above 10MHz
- Trigger

Nice-To-Haves:
- Being able to hack the scope for additional features would be nice
- Built-in variable signal generator
- Built-in Spectrum analyzer (more important to me then a signal gen)
- Bus decoding functions
- PC USB Support (ex. to control and view the waveform on a PC)

I currently mostly mess around with buck/boost converters, basic transistors, op-amps (audio purposes), and repairing of AC->DC Power supplies, but I'd like this scope to give me the opportunity to learn more in the future.

Thanks strangers

--- End quote ---
No oscilloscope has a true spectrum analyzer but, at under $400, good FFT is present only on offers from the aforementioned Siglent SDS1202X-E and GWInstek (GDS1054B). The Rigol DS1054Z is very limited.

If by "bus decoding" you mean serial, this is available but with some tradeoffs. The Rigol DS1054Z only decodes what is on screen, which can be very limiting depending on the length of the data capture. The Siglent has some decoding available but, being only two channels, restricts the number of signals to decode. The GW Instek severely limits the sampling memory when performing decoding. My suggestion? Think about investing in one of the cheap Saleae clones on the internet.

As others also have said, think about an external AWG - the aforementioned Uni-T seems to be a very reasonable choice.

AFAIK all oscilloscopes above are capable of connecting via USB.

Good luck in your quest!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version