Author Topic: ethernet cable  (Read 10620 times)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: ethernet cable
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 05:44:22 am »
I am sure he meant to use the pairs correctly, as in make sure pins 1 and 2 are one pair, and 3 and 6 are another pair, and not some other way around.
You don't have to buy "premium" network cable to get the wiring right.   :wtf:

Offline extide

• Regular Contributor
    • Rovitracker - Rental management AND Real-Time data!
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 05:46:17 am »
I am sure he meant to use the pairs correctly, as in make sure pins 1 and 2 are one pair, and 3 and 6 are another pair, and not some other way around.
You don't have to buy "premium" network cable to get the wiring right.   :wtf:

Well, looking at the link now, yeah, that is pure bs.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 06:26:09 pm »
Besides, they don't even know how to spell "cord"
They mean chord as in music, which is totally different to a length of cord.

But there's more data flowing one way that the other, so the end which sends more data should always be physically located higher than the other end. You save money on your electricity bill doing that, letting gravity take the strain.

If there is a an impedance bump caused by putting the cable over a wall or something, you can help the data flow by sucking on the downstream end RJ45* before plugging it into the receiving device. Using siphon technology you can fix no end of cabling problems. Another way to do this is to blow on the upstream end immediately before plugging it in.

* this is not to be done on PoE equipped network cabling.
Shit, I just realised, it looks like you were serious. Of course, the earth's gravity has no effect on the propagation of a signal down a length of cable. Please keep the audiophool stuff off here!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 06:40:43 pm »
Yes, we all know that.  And that has something to do with digital cabling how, exactly?

Shit, I just realised, it looks like you were serious. Of course, the earth's gravity has no effect on the propagation of a signal down a length of cable. Please keep the audiophool stuff off here!
Even audiophools aren't that phoolish, are they?   :palm:

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »
Shit, I just realised, it looks like you were serious.

Look, there's satire, and perhaps there can be meta-satire. But when it comes to meta-meta-satire it's going too far. Stop it please.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 02:28:10 pm »
Shit, I just realised, it looks like you were serious.

Look, there's satire, and perhaps there can be meta-satire. But when it comes to meta-meta-satire it's going too far. Stop it please.
The trouble is it can often be difficult to distinguish between satire and an article which may be intended to be serious but is so false it's absurd.

Offline christos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:22 pm »
well ,,im in greece and i have a 8mbps internet,,,,if i test the speed with Speedtest.net with a standard 1m ethernet cable im getting 7.1 mbps and 39 ping,,,with the phone cable in 50m im geting 6.8mbps and 44 ping,,,so im happy with that,,for me its no loss with 10 euro cable

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 07:21:06 pm »
Yes, we all know that.  And that has something to do with digital cabling how, exactly?

Even audiophools aren't that phoolish, are they?   :palm:

I'm not a betting man, but I'd hazard a guess that anyone who'd burn £3,200 (~$5,000 US) on a 3 metre patch cable might have a bit of a problem, and it won't be because they've plugged it in the wrong way around.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:28 pm »
actually the phone twisted pair , or cat3 cables (they're marked as SYKFY in my country) are good enough for short ethernet conncetions but ONLY If THERE IS DEFINITELY NO OTHER OPTION ;) the cost of a 4 x 2 x 0.5  Cat3 is the same as for the Cat5 ethernet cable, so there is really no reason to use cat3. and of course 100Mbit is troublesome (in other words.. almost unusable) on longer Cat3 cables.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:05 pm »
They can't spell "cord" and apparently they have problems with "array" as well.  A prime exhibit of audiophoolishness!   :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf