Author Topic: Delete Delete Delete  (Read 19072 times)

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best Oscilloscope Under $100 CAD?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 09:09:42 pm »
P.S. I have absolutely no idea about whether there are any local customs charges or whatever applied in Canada for shipments from China.
At the very least you're on the hook for GST / HST.  Fortunately most "Free Shipping" from China comes via China Post and when that gets handed over to Canada Post they don't charge much to collect those charges ($10).  However, many Chinese sellers are wise to this so they grossly underestimate the value of the item as a courtesy to their customer.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 12:56:51 pm »
Check local hamfests.  You can get an analog scope for a good price.  I got a Tek 2235 for $45 USD that just needed a cleaning and knobs rotated.  It could probably use a recapping, but the traces are clean, bright and good enough for my use.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline hvergelmir

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 11:31:22 am »
JYEtech has a new model that I'm assembling right now, it's an upgraded version of the 138:

http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e150.php

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 12:13:40 pm »
Unfortunately you are still looking at <100kHz bandwidth. It should be higher given the 1Msps quoted sample rate, but they run into aliasing issues quite quickly. The DSO138 is good value at <$20 but the new one less so at around $35 for similar performance (starting to intrude on 2 channel USB scope teritory).

P.S. It would be nice to have some sort of feedback from the OP by now.  :-//
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:35:14 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 05:48:43 pm »
Look up Unis, research institutes, anything electronic etc, in your area.
Hand write a letter (not emails) detailing that you are looking for an old scope for learning and becoming the best engineer you can in a few years. Add a picture of yourself soldering and some circuits you already have designed.
You must of course volonteer to come fetch it and not be a nuisance.
 Should be 4 to 5 pages, well laid out and entertaining.

A bit of honest grovelling is always worth trying.
I'm electronically illiterate

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:02 pm »
P.S. It would be nice to have some sort of feedback from the OP by now.  :-//
His last posting was Dec 10th, so it could be possible another Canadian snow bird flew south to a beach somewhere..

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 04:15:15 am »
I found a very nice Tek 2211 50 MHz scope on ebay for $75. Even though old it had not been used a lot and works great.  What I am saying is that you should consider a used unit. If you do make sure you buy a working unit and make sure to send it back if it is not indeed working. Another option is local educational institutions that are upgrading.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 11:11:04 am »
heck, even deleted my Facebook

Wow, that's seriously busy!  ;D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline boffin

• Supporter

Offline boffin

• Supporter

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Offline jeffh

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 04:03:20 am »
 i found an Elenco s-1340 oscillascope for 65.00 is it worth the money

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 04:18:52 am »
Welcome to the forum jeffh!

The answer sort of depends on what kind of electronics you're interested in.  For microcontrollers and most digital electronics, analog 'scopes are not very useful.

The following users thanked this post: jeffh

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:02 pm »
You might be able to find one of the early Tektronix 22xx series of DSOs for less than $100 but I do not really recommend this because they are old enough to likely require maintenance.  I picked up one of my completely working 2230s for $60.

Syscomp Design makes a USB DSO for less than $100 but its 200kHz bandwidth will not be enough for switching regulators which require more like 10MHz minimum.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2018, 02:31:01 pm »
Syscomp Design makes a USB DSO for less than $100 but its 200kHz bandwidth will not be enough for switching regulators which require more like 10MHz minimum.

That seems pretty bad value when you can get dual channel 25MHz 100Msps USB isolated for similar money.

Edit: I think if your budget is that low for a scope then all of it should go on maximising the actual scope performance rather than extras.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:37:05 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2018, 03:16:44 pm »
I second David's recommendation. There are other good brands too. Don't spend too much money and you'll be happier with the purchase.

Watch Dave's videos on buying a cheap scope. An invaluable aid to doing this.

And I would pair your scope with a sigrok-compatible FX2-based logic analyzer. They can be found for $6 now on ebay. That will let you capture digital signals and analyze their content. Like you could with a high end MSO.

That will cover a lot of bases for you.

You might be able to find one of the early Tektronix 22xx series of DSOs for less than $100 but I do not really recommend this because they are old enough to likely require maintenance.  I picked up one of my completely working 2230s for $60.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:36:53 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline jeffh

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »
honestly I'm just looking for a cheap analog scope and I've seen these priced pretty high the scope is in excellent condition and right now it will be used for when i build analog eurorack modules. This is my first scope and it will be used for learning purposes. I just didn't know if Elenco was a crap brand or not

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
I don't know the Elenco brand personally. It doesn't have dual timebase, which is always nice to have on a full featured analogue scope, but wouldn't be an issue for something like audio.

The general purchasing rule of thumb around here seems to be to target a price of $1 per MHz bandwidth.  The key issue for a second hand analogue scope is whether you can find a copy of the service manual so you can fix it if needed.

Edit: Basic spec:  https://www.robotshop.com/media/files/pdf/s-1340-1345-specifications.pdf

Instruction Manual: http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/85-2200.pdf The maintenance section includes only a block diagram.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:21:06 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2018, 09:59:33 pm »
I don't know the brand either, but I can't think of any real crap brands from that era.  The hallmarks of the more useless 'scopes are little or no triggering, single trace and AC only coupling.  This doesn't have any of that.
As far as price I think it is OK if it includes probes and works fine.  In Canada it would be a bit of a deal.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 03:42:24 pm »

That seems pretty bad value when you can get dual channel 25MHz 100Msps USB isolated for similar money.

Edit: I think if your budget is that low for a scope then all of it should go on maximising the actual scope performance rather than extras.

But it is a great value if you want something which fully supports automatic swept vector analysis producing an amplitude and phase versus frequency plot.  This feature makes it worth getting for a beginner in addition to a higher bandwidth oscilloscope.  I wish I had had something like this decades ago.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 07:42:22 pm »
True enough, the vector analysis function would make a nice addition to a lab, I notice that it is 11 bit resolution too (wonder what happened to the other bit  ???). Looking around the Syscomp site, they do some nice stuff.
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf