Electronics > Beginners

Best school for electronics engineering?

(1/3) > >>

jackbob:
I am 16 and have two years of high school left so I have been recently looking into schools that offer electronics engineering. I like all types of electronics engineering but have the most knowledge and experience in power electronics. I have heard it also referred to as analog electronics. I want to design and build high power electronics such as power supplies, inverters, and motor controllers. It is also starting to become more common in the automobile industry for electric cars which increases demand for this job. I have taken several engineering courses in high school and I really don't feel college is for me. I would have to take two years of a foreign language and I feel that colleges waste too much time and make too much work out of classes that don't really pertain to what it is that I am trying to learn. I would much rather go to a technical or trade school which is more hands on and gets right to the core of what it is you are trying to learn. Does anyone know of good reputable technical schools that offer such a course?  I found ITT tech but their class descriptions are very short and not very descriptive on what type of electronics courses they offer.

Rerouter:
your users country is listed as 00, so perhaps tell us what country / state you live in, its not very good us reccomending one thats on the oppsite side of the planet

IanB:
Are you in the US? I think it is usual for US colleges to require a very broad program of study.

If you are up for a bit of adventure, you might consider looking overseas for a place to study. The universities in the UK, for example, will let you focus purely on electronics and won't make you study all sorts of other crap. (Mind you, there is nothing wrong with studying a foreign language.)

Just to give you an idea, here is the prospectus for electrical and electronic engineering at Imperial College. It is one of the top schools, but there are many others to pick from.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/electricalengineering/eleceng

jackbob:
Yes I'm in the US in Los Angeles California. Traveling to another country would be hard but make it more interesting I suppose. I just don't like all the unnecessary classes and courses in college and it's also less hands on and more lecturing. Taking a foreign language isn't bad but it's very unnecessary for learning electronics. It is always a plus to be bilingual but not required to learn electronics.  I would much rather take two more engineering classes, auto, or some other industrial tech class rather than a foreign language. I personally feel forcing someone to take a foreign language is a waste because that person is doing it because they have to rather than want to and they probably aren't getting much out of the class. Same with all the crap classes in college, people sign up for electronics and have to take a sport?? I mean really? and people pay for that. Im sure a technical school is much more expensive but at lest it cuts the crap and gets to the actual class. there is also a much higher rate of people having a steady job after getting out of a technical school.

IanB:
Yes, I know moving overseas to study is a giant leap and quite daunting, not to mention probably expensive (but college isn't exactly cheap in the US these days...). I just thought I'd mention it as a possibility. Perhaps you can see from the prospectus I linked to that it is all engineering and "no unnecessary crap"  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version