Author Topic: Best Stripboard Trace Cutting Tool?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Best Stripboard Trace Cutting Tool?
« on: November 30, 2022, 05:21:11 pm »
I see this Duratool one on Amazon.  Don't know how good it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Duratool-21-17250-Track-Cutter-by/dp/B00DJZGZK2

I need one. 
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Best Stripboard Trace Cutting Tool?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 05:34:46 pm »
I don't know either.  I have used a #11 X-Acto blade, and it works, but my preferred method is a very small, half-round, burr cutter in a Dremel.  Quick, easy, and very little chance of the knife going way too far. 

I have also used an ordinary drill bit with an wider included angle than the standard 118°; although, a 118° drill will work.  135° is what I have.  Put it in a pin vvise and drill by hand.

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 05:37:52 pm »
The handle looks to be too big. With those style track-cutters you have to rotate your entire hand several times for each cut. I have an official "vero" cutter with a smaller handle - and it's still too big. I prefer to use a 1/8" drill bit in a pin-vice/ type of chuck. You don't need much torque and very little pressure to make the cut. The pin-vice can be turned severlal times between your thumb and finger - no need to keep re-adjusting your grip.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BillyO

Offline mag_therm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 05:38:36 pm »
It needs to be slightly wider than the track.
I have used those, and agree with jpan, Andy, not necessary, and the alternatives are just as effective

Offline BILLPOD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 05:42:24 pm »
On the Amazon reviews there are as many bad reviews as good ones.  personally, I would stay away. :popcorn:

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 05:50:18 pm »
That tool looks like a PITA to use.  You want one with a much slimmer rounder handle, and a much shorter tip so you can easily twiddle it between fingers and thumb, as its easier to cut the tracks controllably with several twists of a *sharp* cutter with light pressure, rather than trying to do it with one twist and heavy pressure.  See https://verotl.com/enclosures/verowire-accessory-spot-face-cutter-part-number-22-0239 for the original Vero tool, but even that is a bit bigger/longer than I like.

Personally I like a 3.5mm drill bit epoxied in a hole drilled down the center of a 10 or 12mm dia wooden dowel approx. 50mm long as a handle, with its end edges chamfered enough to be comfortable to grip.  Use a sharp brand-new HSS drill bit and leave it protruding approx. 15mm to 20mm from the handle, then when the epoxy has set, apply heatshrink or plastidip over it to within a few mm of the cutting tip for a better grip.

Hint: Use brightly colored heatshrink or plastidip so you can actually find it again after it invariably rolls off your bench!  |O
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:53:51 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 05:55:19 pm »
How much????? talk about mark up
https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/3360568a/cutter-track/dp/PC01227?ost=track+cutter
get yerself some 2.5mm  brad drill bits,job done.

Online EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 08:51:38 am »
I just use a 1/8" drill bit in my drill press. I set the depth stop to allow it to cut through the trace and not through the board. The holes in the board guide it nicely and by using the depth stop you can do a several dozen holes in no time at all. I use a Sharpie marker to mark the locations in advance. As for the angle of the drill bit's tip, I never worried about it but the ones I used were the more common 118 degree ones.

Oh, Vero makes a hand tool for this:

https://www.newark.com/vero/22-0239/cutter-spot-face/dp/10WX4170

Note: My drill press is one that I paid about $50 for many years ago. I modified the depth stop with what is called a push-button nut. It allows the depth to be adjusted quickly: you push the button on the nut and just move it straight up or down to the approximate position without turning it. Then you fine tune it by rotation. You can get a setting that's accurate to a thousandth of an inch (0.025mm). And the spring on the button holds it in the set position so you don't fumble with a lock nut. The time and difficulty of setting the depth stop is the big reason why no one ever uses the OEM ones. These push-button nuts completely solve that problem. McMaster has them: see the link below. There are a lot of modifications for drill presses on the web but, in my opinion, they are the one ABSOLUTE MUST for any drill press that is used more often than once a century.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/nut-type~push-button/

I don't know either.  I have used a #11 X-Acto blade, and it works, but my preferred method is a very small, half-round, burr cutter in a Dremel.  Quick, easy, and very little chance of the knife going way too far. 

I have also used an ordinary drill bit with an wider included angle than the standard 118°; although, a 118° drill will work.  135° is what I have.  Put it in a pin vvise and drill by hand.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:15:42 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ledtester

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 10:16:10 am »
The disadvantage of a drill that many of us use is that when applied to a hole, you lose the hole as a solder joint.  I do it and have done it on boards with non-specialized tracks, but when using something like a Sparkfun board that is laid out in the typical solderless breadboard fashion, that extra hole may be needed.  Thus, I usually cut the trace with a Dremel like tool. 

I will try again to find a picture.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 10:48:24 am »
Many years ago I bought this tool. I bought it from RS components. It works really well, it's easy to use and have used it a lot...

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 11:08:13 am »
The disadvantage of a drill that many of us use is that when applied to a hole, you lose the hole as a solder joint.  I do it and have done it on boards with non-specialized tracks, but when using something like a Sparkfun board that is laid out in the typical solderless breadboard fashion, that extra hole may be needed.  Thus, I usually cut the trace with a Dremel like tool. 

Yes.  Its also difficult to tolerate the loss of a hole when mounting IDC headers (or any other parts with adjacent rows of 0.1" pitch pins).

My usual 'goto' method for those situations is to use an Xacto knife (or similar) to score across the track twice very close together midway between two holes (using a steel ruler to guide the blade if cutting more than one track) then to use a sharp pointed probe to peel up the sliver of copper between the two score marks.  Check under magnification that there's no whiskers of copper remaining bridging the break.

However this needs to be done with the board flat on your bench, preferably on a non-slip cutting mat *before* you mount any components as it very difficult to make the cut accurately and safely once there are any parts on the board.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 11:35:34 am »
I found pictures to illustrate what I said said earlier about saving holes.

1) Top shows a typical situation (column 42)
2) Bottom shows the cut that allows that
3) I gotten better at doing it in the ensuing years

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 03:50:11 pm »
The handle looks to be too big. With those style track-cutters you have to rotate your entire hand several times for each cut. I have an official "vero" cutter with a smaller handle - and it's still too big. I prefer to use a 1/8" drill bit in a pin-vice/ type of chuck. You don't need much torque and very little pressure to make the cut. The pin-vice can be turned severlal times between your thumb and finger - no need to keep re-adjusting your grip.
+1

I too use a pin vice.  Mine is double ended with a 1/8 in one end for cutting and 3/64 in the other for making holes a bit bigger for components with thick leads.   It is much, much faster, cleaner and more versatile than working with a knife.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 04:14:40 pm »

Why not just apply the drill to the trace between the holes?  That's how I do it and it works just fine.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 05:18:37 pm »
When I did a lot of track cuts, I used a dremil with ball head.  I liked that because I could cut trace quickly and remove solder mask to solder component over cut trace.

Now that I rarely cut tracks I use a tungsten carbide metal scribe.  Similar to the link below.  Faster to grab this from my soldering kit than pulling out the dremil.  I make 2 cuts and pick out the copper between them.

Scribing Pen Tool Tungsten Carbide Point Tip Scriber Craft Tool Metal Engraver Carving https://a.co/d/j65bgmP

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2022, 05:25:36 pm »
Has anyone tried a brad-point carbide drill bit, say, 1/8" diameter?
They are expensive, but I prefer brad-point bits for drilling reasonable-size holes in FR-4, with or without copper.
McMaster-Carr charges $21.16 for a 1/8" uncoated carbide brad-point bit.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2022, 05:25:52 pm »
Its also difficult to tolerate the loss of a hole when mounting IDC headers (or any other parts with adjacent rows of 0.1" pitch pins).
you sound like an ideal customer for my bodgacon adaptors

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2022, 05:58:16 pm »
a while a go, i bought few of this... each blade has few segments... cut left and right, peel and done. also can be used on paper and overgrown nails...

also i have this, but the blade only one segment and worn out quickly, so its my less favourite tool...

i also keep one x-acto style knife, still in a box unused for years, i'll keep that for if i want to do some kidney surgery... if i want to do heavy duty pcb cutting, my steel handsaw with mini table clamp is ready... learn from a man and work like a man ;) ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2022, 06:44:33 pm »
Does anyone have recommendations for a tool to cut lines in copper clad like this:

1654003-0

This image comes from the video:

Techniques and Strategies for Building Electronic Circuits -- Leo's Bag of Tricks
https://youtu.be/vq968AFgPhg

Leo suggests fashioning a tool from an Exacto blade using a Dremel and a grinding wheel (see at 1:55 in the video):

1654009-1

but I'm curious if there is some other tool like the tungsten scribe which would also work.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2022, 10:09:31 pm »
CNC engraver.  If you are OK with the cut lines going to the edges, I have used my miniature table saw with a thin kerf carbide blade to do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf