Author Topic: Best Way to Solder-Bridge between 2 Pins  (Read 2321 times)

Offline meshtronTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Best Way to Solder-Bridge between 2 Pins
« on: September 08, 2023, 06:41:44 pm »
I made an error on my first prototype and left the lower pink arrow pin in the picture disconnected.  Good news is the pin just above it (top pink arrow) is always high, so I just need to tie to that.  I did one of these, but it was legitimately 30 minutes of cussing and, at one point, I'd unsoldered both pins and nearly bridged to the ones below.  That time I used flux, I think that was unwise.  I have 4 more boards to do this operation to...  Also, on the right of the pic you can see a big cap - I can't access this from the top or the right (of the picture), only bottom or left.

Current plan is to try to jam soldering iron tip between the two pins (touches both at once), no flux, melt new solder on iron tip and try to get it to bridge and stay when I pull the iron away.

Besides being a better designer in the first place and not leaving a floating pin, how would you experienced guys approach this to have best chance of success?

(2nd, darker pic shows my pointiest iron tip for reference).

EDIT: Pin Pitch is 0.5mm, here is the footprint
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 06:44:16 pm by meshtron »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: Best Way to Solder-Bridge between 2 Pins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 06:47:30 pm »
I think I'd try a single core from some thin stranded wire, L or U bend to fit the distance between pins and something to hold onto, solder and trim with scalpel or by bending the wire back and forth

The following users thanked this post: meshtron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 06:50:47 pm »
That's exactly what I tried the first time!  I could occasionally just get it to "stick" but could never seem to get enough heat to keep the wire and solder melted.  Maybe I'll revisit.

My soldering station is a Hakko FX888D, I turned the heat up to 850F - still seemed like (maybe because the tip is so small?) it struggled to melt the existing solder.

Also realized, at some point, the flux I'd added had "gelled" and was probably preventing good heat transfer.  I think I'll just skip flux this time, but that seems high-risk too.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 07:09:30 pm »
Just a blob of solder to join both pins?

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 07:19:55 pm »
Flux helps reduce bridging. Look up "drag soldering" for an extreme example.

To make a bridge, melt some solder on the tip, wait a moment for flux to evaporate, and aim carefully at the right pins.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 07:25:55 pm »
Just a blob of solder to join both pins?

that only works when you don't want it to

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 07:39:24 pm »
That's the intent!  Just didn't go like I scripted it last time.  Somehow ended up with the existing solder from the pins running up onto the iron, then all of it dropping off and forming a loose ball of junk that I picked out.  Other than a nasty bout of food poisoning when I was a kid, this is the physically smallest thing that has completely defeated me!  :box:

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 07:47:34 pm »
But why are you trying to bridge the actual pins when it looks like you have two huge areas of tinned copper trace on the board right next to them? I would just scrape some solder mask off the traces and bridge the gap between them with a small piece of wire (or even just a big solder blob).

In order to be successful with bridging gaps, you must first remove the solder mask where the solder needs to go. Solder mask repels solder and is designed to prevent solder bridges from forming. Scrape it off gently with the sharp end of a scalpel or craft knife.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 08:24:15 pm by IanB »

The following users thanked this post: EPAIII, meshtron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 08:09:11 pm »
There's no copper under the disconnected (lower) pin.  There is copper pour under the top pin, but just scraped a non-assembled board clean there and confirmed it's straight to substrate on the pin in question.  Still, your point about solder mask being actively anti-bridging is good.  I'm not certain I can get in between the pins to scrape there, but it might help.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 10:20:21 pm »
Solder a jumper wire across. Precrimp and tin the wire before soldering in. Use just a clean tip and flux if there is adequate solder.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 10:42:20 pm »
The easiest would be to apply a bit of solder paste (with solder) and heat with hot air. With soldering iron it can be tricky because likely you will get unintentional drag soldering effect and "excess" solder remaining on the tip instead of bridging the terminals.

The following users thanked this post: EPAIII, meshtron

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 10:42:27 pm »
The tip pictured in the first post looks to be not tinned properly, maybe due to operating at very high temperature. I rarely exceed 350°C
Try to bridge the pins with a strand of copper wire, using extra flux with the solder.
With that type of IC package, it can be difficult getting the tip into the corner to make good contact with the pins. The tip shape shown should work but that large capacitor? might be getting in the way.
Another option is a fine pointed tip, but most have poor thermal performance. An exception is the tip I mostly use, the T18-S4.
Yes, I know it's conical!

The flux I have settled on. https://caig.com/product/caig-rosin-flux-rsf-r80-2/

« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 10:47:23 pm by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 10:50:47 pm »
That tip is unused/brand new, but my (errmmm... budget) digital microscope does weird things to colors sometimes too.

I just ordered a couple T18-S4 tips - those look better than what I've got on-hand now.  I do think poor-quality pointy tips are why I had to turn the temp up, soldering station has been a champ on everything not-this-miniature.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2023, 11:56:22 pm »
I got a couple of them done, still not sure exactly what's happening.  With my Hakko turned up to 890F, and a new, tinned tip, I cannot get the on-board solder to melt.  If I can hold the iron just right for long enough, it at least gets "squishy" and I can push enough down from the upper pin to get to (and seemingly stay in touch with) the bottom pin.

It's almost like there's some sort of waxy stuff on the joints.  I cleaned with a brush and 95% alcohol, didn't make much difference that I could tell.  Waiting on some better tips, that might be some or most of my problem.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2023, 12:02:24 am »
With my Hakko turned up to 890F

That's probably not helping.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 01:23:43 am »
Not certain if the solder type has been mentioned. If lead free, try 60/40 leaded. If there is concern about mixing solders, wick it off and apply the fresh solder again.
There should never be a need to go anywhere near that temperature.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 07:08:20 am »
With my Hakko turned up to 890F, and a new, tinned tip, I cannot get the on-board solder to melt.
Another vote for "too hot".

Heat may oxidize the tip and then solder doesn't stick to it well.
Instead, improve heat transfer from the tip to the part by applying a small drop of molten solder to the tip.

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 07:30:23 am »
You should have no problem bridging the pins using MECHANIC TY-V866 solder   :-DD

You could even grind the traces some distance away from chip and bridge them there with a blob. Flux is good, use flux. Temperature 310.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2023, 05:18:22 pm »
When using solder to bridge a gap, pull the iron away from the joint first, followed by the solder a short time after i.e. the opposite of how you'd normally make a joint.  This encourages the solder bridge to remain.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2023, 06:13:28 pm »
Are you sure you can join VM and nSLEEP together?
Unless you're powering VM with 5V, you will damage it.
Absolute max voltage at nSLEEP is 5.5V, while VM can be up to 35V.
Edit: It's 5.5V recommended spec but can take up to 40V, you're right!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:28:54 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2023, 06:16:39 pm »
Are you sure you can join VM and nSLEEP together?
Unless you're powering VM with 5V, you will damage it.
Absolute max voltage at nSLEEP is 5.5V, while VM can be up to 35V.

Yeah - I was actually very happy and surprised to find nSLEEP (as opposed to all other logic pins) can handle up to 40V!  Got lucky, and I have it working and happy on one board.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:28:22 pm by meshtron »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2023, 06:34:56 pm »
Now you realized it's better to break out the unused pins to testing pads (When possible) because "You never know"  :).
Solder paste and hot air would be the easiest option, but nearby electrolitic might be a problem.
A thin tip should to it after some practice!

Edit: Just 4 boards? Remove the electrolytic to make some working room and that's it, I though they were a lot more.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 07:50:28 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2023, 07:40:43 pm »
There's no copper under the disconnected (lower) pin.  There is copper pour under the top pin, but just scraped a non-assembled board clean there and confirmed it's straight to substrate on the pin in question.  Still, your point about solder mask being actively anti-bridging is good.  I'm not certain I can get in between the pins to scrape there, but it might help.
It’s your own design, right? In that case, please share a screenshot of the relevant part of the PCB layout.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2023, 10:25:40 pm »
It is - layout screenshot attached.  There's the big VIN pour to Pin 4, then the IPROPI and other lines below, but no copper (on the top layer) in the affected area.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2023, 04:50:00 pm »
Ok, so there is copper under the pin (the pad), just no copper pour or trace.

Either scrape off the solder mask between the pad and the pour (easy to do on unpopulated boards using a scalpel) and bridge with a blob, or solder a small wire bridge as others have already suggested.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf