Author Topic: Bga rework  (Read 2411 times)

Offline SoftboxdzTopic starter

• Contributor
Bga rework
« on: September 20, 2021, 12:21:11 am »
Hello guys, I’m new in here I want to ask some questions about Bga rework of consoles specials.

1 : I have WDS 620 semi automatic 5300w what do you think about it? And did I can reball ps3 and Xbox with it?

2 : how do I made my profiles for each mother board? I’m not asking about temperature I want a base to build a profile .

3 : what kind of flux and solder balls are best for console?

Finally if you are an Bga experts you can give me some advice cuz I’m newbie in Bga world

• Contributor
Re: Bga rework
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 12:36:51 am »
 :-[ no one have any idea

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 03:24:32 pm »
Loads of flux, stay calm, turn off the phone and lock the door.

See Louis Rossmans great videos on just this subject!
And

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 03:39:08 pm »
it should work
lot of ic's have the heating recommended profile in their datasheet, the big issue is if your machine follows the temperatures
this should be easy to check with thermocouple temperature tester, i used that technique on some air reflow machine (metcal 5000, 26keuros)
but the cheap ones can also do well enough to do the job, the secret is to correctly verify the upper temp and good flux and of course even balls (same size i mean)
and patience, avoid overheating, better to really measure temp with separate meter, i had that temperature resistant tape (forgot his name, the yellowish one) for fixing the thermocouple tip on the top/bottom pcb for setup the profile

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 10:31:43 pm »
Thinx bro … I did everything right except the profile
See the attached photos no popcorning no overheat everything goes well
Maybe the balls or the flux I don’t know what I do wrong

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:50:31 pm »
Did you remove all of the solder from the PCB BGA pads before fitting the new BGA chip ?

From what I can see in your side view of the IC you appear to have solder bridging and the solder balls are not as ‘squat’ (flattened) as I would expect when correctly reflowed.

I am no expert on BGA reflow but I have had excellent results with the Jovy 7500 dark IR BGA rework station when replacing PC Northbridge BGA IC’s. NorthridgeFIX on YouTube removes the old solder from the PCB pads using a piece of good quality solder wick held between the tips of his Weller hot tweezers. That works well to mop up the solder ready for the new IC placement.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:52:22 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 12:10:02 am »
Yes I did it …. But what did you said about the form of balls

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 12:18:19 am »
Practice practice practice, old broadband routers and DSL modems and such make good guinea pigs. It's funny seeing BGA rework in the "beginners" section, that is definitely an advanced topic.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 12:22:03 pm »
I agree. I bought lots of scrap laptop motherboards very cheaply on eBay to practice on before needing to work on a valuable PCB that I cared about damaging. Practice is definitely the key here as it is an ‘art’ just like learning to solder correctly with a soldering iron. Each BGA machine and technology behaves differently so the practice enables the user to determine the best settings act for the particular rework system. I have seen a lot of cooked chips and PCB’s when people have thought that hotter is better.

As a side note, I was lucky to find a simple BGA solder ball inspection tool that is basically a glass prism with LED illumination and this allows me to inspect the BGA chip mounted on the PCB for correct solder ball ‘squat’ and no solder bridges. Sadly this tool is normally quite expensive though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:32:29 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: perieanuo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 11:59:59 pm »
I see nice pic so how did you get this glass prism

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 11:52:10 am »
Those pictures are just examples off the internet of the BGA ball shape showing how the ball ‘squats’ during reflow under the weight of the IC.

My prism unit is a commercial product that was intended to be more affordable than the expensive camera based systems that also use a prism tip. My unit is totally passive in that it is a specially shaped glass prism with two small white light LED’s used fir illumination. The prism is hand held and you look into the viewing port to see the BGA solder balls. It is like a Jewellers Loupe but right angled for BGA work. I have not used it for a while but saw it in a box the other day…I will see if I can find it again (I am not doing much BGA rework at the moment). If not, I will post the pictures of the product for you. I think it is still being made. The camera based units are better but they are so expensive that I cannot justify the cost fir the work I do.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:54:35 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 12:31:31 pm »
I just found the eBay listing I bought from back in 2019.

The unit I have is they”MSC PR1” but sadly it is now discontinued. I attach the url showing this clever little unit

http://www.mseng.co.jp/new/en/products/others/pr1.html

It cost me £39 in 2019.

The little ‘box’ has the prism head at the bottom and you look down on the curved prism output from above, much like using a magnifying glass or Jewellers Loupe. The scene lighting is provided by two built in white light LED’s powered from Lithium button cells.

The OEM PriballPR1 page is here….

http://www.e-meisho.org/priball/

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:57:42 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 12:34:53 pm »
The PR1 uses the same principe as the more expensive camera based systems but avoids the cost of the camera etc  :-+

Conventional camera sustens just mount the camera at the output of the prism as shown in the attachment.

Fraser

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 02:30:58 am »
Think a lot bro .. that give me an idea if it work ill show you

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 07:52:05 am »
the balls must be same size of course, if your flux doesn't 'boil' and the chip is steady, it must work. imho the balls are not perfect, the profile seems fine enough

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 01:17:13 am »
It’s my guess too the ball are bad quality.. did you checked my profile ?

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 08:49:27 am »
yes, just now i calculated the degree slope at first rise and got something like 4deg C per second, that's too quick, i used max 3deg C per second as rising slope ( calculated for the 'imposed' curve, not for what your thermocouple reports, fortunately the themperature inertia of the board slows that temp rise and you are kinda ok).
i saw like 100C rise in like 27 seconds
as for the peak, i used generally max 220-230C, but my machine was more powerful.
cooling the board should be done more slow, for me the descent is tooo rapid, you should use (almost) the same cool rate as for heating.
my reference was like this one:  https://metcal.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Metcal-Profiling-for-successful-BGACSP-Rework-White-Paper.pdf
if you watch carefully the board temperature was below 250C and that's enough, in my experience the danger is overheating the board, if you underheat the chances of retry and success is big, for overheat is zero.
for a second oppinion from maxim: https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/design/technical-documents/app-notes/3/3377.html
they recommend 2.5C/s for preheat,  even less for soak, that profile is also 'by the book'

i hope i'm clear enough
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:55:01 am by perieanuo »

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 12:12:31 am »
Thinx a lot it’s very helpful I’ll try it on ps3 mobo…. I’ll tell you the results keep in touch bro and thinx again

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 01:25:46 am »
Thinx guys I successes my first Bga chip it’s xbox360 slim … thinx a lot guys

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf