Author Topic: Blinking LED on 1.2V - Internet Box from The IT Crowd tv series  (Read 7717 times)

Offline dhlavatyTopic starter

I know, I know. There are tons of LED blinkers out there on the internet. I have spend weeks searching for them already, but still doesn't found one matching my criteria.

I want to build simple "Internet box" ( see The IT Crowd - Series 3 - Episode 4: The Internet )

But to learn something useful (some low-voltage stuff) for me, I want to drive it from one single 1.2~1.5 Volt battery (so I can use any AA / AAA NiHM accumulator and/or classic AA / AAA / C / D 1.5V battery). And of course, the longer battery life, the better. Red 1.8~2.3V LED will be absolutely fine, but some more universal scheme with blue 3.2V LED will be appreciated.

I have found several designs, that just flash (LED is on for about 4ms with one flash per second), but I want do make something like 1 Hz ~ 1 second on / 1 second off. Accuracy is not important.

I also found some schemes using LM3909 Oscillator IC, but that chip is not manufactured anymore.

Then I found some M34 LED Flasher Chip, but I cannot found any supplier for it and the minimal voltage is 1.35V.  >:(

Someone suggested an LT1073 DC-DC Converter, but what then ? Use an 555 timer ? Low-power micro-controller ? Which one ? Is there any possibility, that it will blink for at least a month from one AA / C or D type battery ?

Thanx for any advise.

Offline Wh1sper

• Regular Contributor
    • Zockertown
Re: Blinking LED on 1.2V - Internet Box from The IT Crowd tv series
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:51:36 pm »
PR 4404
Low Voltage Boost Driver for 0,5 / 1,0 W Power-LEDs
The PR4404 is a step-up converter for white LEDs, operating with single battery cellsupply (1.2/1.5V) at up to 150mA LED current or dual cell supply (2.4/3.0V) at up to300mA LED current. A minimum part count allows compact and cost-efficient solutions.The converter can be switched on and off with a logic signal, which is useful e.g. for PWMcontrol, timer circuits etc.

Works down to 1.00Volts

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
what about using 2 cells and building a simple LED blinking circuit (simple astable multivibrator, or 555...or whatever)
the "internet box" is big enough to place even more that 2 cells. i would rather spend 50cents more on the battery holder to get the double cell one and another 50cents for the extra AA batery , than building a complex electronics worth of 15$ to blink a LED ;)

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »
@Wh1sper: Thanks for suggesting PR4404, but as I mentioned in my first question - what next ? 555 ? Micro-controller ? Which one ?

@rob77: As I mention in my question, purpose (at least for me) is to learn something useful (low-voltage stuff). So my own goal is to use 1.2V battery and "blink with it" as long as possible.  :)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:36 pm »
Microchip MCP1640
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:42 pm »
You can use some plain diodes and capacitors to do a voltage multiplier, raising the voltage to 3v or 5v: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/8.html

Voltage multipliers work for a few mA, enough to power a led and potentially a 6-8 pin mcu to blink the led (or just get a led with blink functionality built in). Note that it won't scale for more than a few mA, you'll need a boost regulator to do that.

ps. shit, forgot about dc... voltage multipliers work with ac, not dc voltage. yeah, boost regulators... search digikey or farnell/newark/mouser for one that works from 1-1.2v and you're golden.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:22:43 pm by mariush »

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:18:27 pm »
The LM3909 was sold in the millions   :-+

It was used for flashing the led on the edge of the cardboard outer sleeve case of the Pink floyd CD album 'Pulse'

Mine lasted a good few years before the original battery finally retired  O0 and it's still flashing today ( with battery changes since the day i bought it  8) )

:)
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:31 pm »
A Joule Thief circuit with a flashing LED?

You'll probably need to make a few modifications but it should work.

A low voltage CMOS Schmitt trigger inverter oscillator and a voltage doubler made with a Schottky diode.

Or build a discrete LM3909.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM3909.html

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:02:42 am »
@mikeselectricstuff> Thanks. MCP1640 looks great. And (as always, my question): What then ? 555 ? microcontroller ? Which one ?

@MrSmiley> I have mentioned LM3909 in my first question, but it is not manufactured anymore. And once again, I want to learn something useful and not something outdated ;-)

@Hero999> I have seen some Joule thief schemes, but all of them just flash with a diode (so LED was on for just about 4miliseconds). Own discrete LM3909 may be a nice solution. Thanx

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »
@mikeselectricstuff> Thanks. MCP1640 looks great. And (as always, my question): What then ? 555 ?
Maybe
microcontroller ? Which one ?
Any,  absolutely any microcontroller

A flashing LED would be the simplest

Offline hlokk

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:04:30 am »
If you wanna learn and go a dozen components then the above should give you a start.

But if you just want results for cheap and easy, then go a flashing led (blue even, e.g. http://www.ledsales.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=148_152_154_155&products_id=461) and then grab one of these IC's and an inductor (http://www.ledsales.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=131_132&products_id=384).

Wont be able to control the flash rate though. Using 2-3 batteries will mean you can just use a flashing LED and a resistor which you can get anywhere.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:14:35 am »
A joule thief circuit feeding a reservoir capacitor through a diode should give a DC voltage of about 5 V or so. You could then use this to run a 555 timer circuit with the mark/space ratio of your choice and blink the LED with that.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 07:55:40 am »
@MrSmiley > That 2N6027 programmable unijunction transistor look interesting. I will definettly look at that. Thanx.

@mikeselectricstuff > MCP1640's are nowhere in stock (at least not here in EU or with a normal postage). But I have found MAX756/MAX757, do you know it ? Is it simmiliar ? And what do you think will last longer on one battery, 555 or a low power micro ?

@hlokk > Yes I know some blinking LEDs. thanx

@IanB > Yes I was considering 555, but I'm not sure about power consumption. thanx

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:02 am »
And what do you think will last longer on one battery, 555 or a low power micro ?
Low power micro, using the watchdog timer, but a CMOS 555 (7555) would be a big improvement over the standard one.
Another low-power simple option is a CMOS 4060 oscillator/counter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf