Author Topic: Book advice electronics theory and pratics  (Read 2313 times)

Offline YarooooTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Book advice electronics theory and pratics
« on: April 10, 2019, 03:06:18 pm »
Hi all,

I've seen a topic with a lot of books suggested, some more deeply in some topics then others.

I'd a lot of theory at schools and university about electronics, mostly on theory to understand basics of this world starting from physics, electronics than something on semiconductors and so on.
But main missing topic was how to connect theory to practical (i.e. cap use & applications, diodes calculations etc., triodes)
practical applications (how to wire transistors, switch times of them, calculate thermal of components, switching regulators, linear, etc.)
practical use of components (all wiring possibilities of mosfet, transistors)
example of circuits (common historical components like 555 etc, oscillators, DTL, TLL, PLL,)

I'm looking something that fuse theory to practical.

In other way, I image this subdivided in different books:
Like basic theory, Applications of components, Reference circuits basics to advanced, Logic circuits, Advanced semiconductors (Microcontrollers, FPGA) theory on how are made inside.

Can you advice me something MUST READ of this themes?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: Book advice electronics theory and pratics
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 03:33:44 pm »
That's why all the pages in Electronics primers course material and books exist. You will find something applicable  :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 03:39:04 pm »
Yes, but there's a list like 80% of people advice same book for this argument? Or must read books?

Offline Kagord

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 07:24:52 pm »
I'd like to be able to condense, say a curriculum like this, to one book as well  :-DD

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QjwK5g_QE1FGWfsTgolTSXdrNceRUbel/view

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 07:16:01 am »
I'd like to be able to condense, say a curriculum like this, to one book as well  :-DD

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QjwK5g_QE1FGWfsTgolTSXdrNceRUbel/view

A lot of "generic" exams I've already done. Most of them are leaking from practical side or a fusion between practical and theory. Some I'll never use (like IC design).

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 09:38:10 am »
example of circuits (common historical components like 555 etc, oscillators, DTL, TLL, PLL,)
Like basic theory, Applications of components, Reference circuits basics to advanced, Logic circuits

A while ago I asked if there were any collective source of basic circuit building blocks, which came up fairly empty.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 10:31:53 am »
Like basic theory, Applications of components, Reference circuits basics to advanced, Logic circuits

A while ago I asked if there were any collective source of basic circuit building blocks, which came up fairly empty.

Manufacturer's application notes. The Art of Electronics III.

Those should get you going; then you can ask more specific questions.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 01:35:42 pm »

In my specific case it was as a teaching aid to help beginners identify parts of a schematic and quickly make a small circuit. Can imagine the reaction handing them the Art of Electronics.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 01:52:29 pm »

In my specific case it was as a teaching aid to help beginners identify parts of a schematic and quickly make a small circuit. Can imagine the reaction handing them the Art of Electronics.

That would be a more specific question :)

But there's a lot of difference between "reading" (i.e. identify parts of a schematic) and "writing" (i.e. quickly make a small circuit) - or is the latter "copying"?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 02:59:36 pm »
That would be a more specific question :)

But there's a lot of difference between "reading" (i.e. identify parts of a schematic) and "writing" (i.e. quickly make a small circuit) - or is the latter "copying"?

The thread below describes what I wanted, if you can think of any source not provided let me know.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/circuit-building-blocks-for-absolute-beginners/

It sounds like a part of what Yaroooo is asking for (practical use of components).

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 05:00:52 pm »

There a LOT to learn from application notes.  But they won't be in a bound volume and they won't all be from one manufacturer.

I'm not sure what to think about The Art of Electronics.  I have it but I haven't spend enough time with it to really appreciate the approach.

So, we can spend an entire semester working with analog circuits and op amps while learning nothing about FPGAs.  And that's the point!  The 'universe' of electronics is pretty large.

The idea of 'building blocks' sounds good but what if the input and output parameters aren't compatible with another block.  Not understanding the design of the bits and pieces makes integration difficult.

Electronics, as a whole, is hard!  That's why it takes 150 units of coursework spread over 5 years to even begin to get a handle on it.  And then there is grad school where  the focus is more limited but the depth is increased.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 05:08:35 pm »

There a LOT to learn from application notes.  But they won't be in a bound volume and they won't all be from one manufacturer. It isn't for an absolute beginner.

I'm not sure what to think about The Art of Electronics.  I have it but I haven't spend enough time with it to really appreciate the approach.

So, we can spend an entire semester working with analog circuits and op amps while learning nothing about FPGAs.  And that's the point!  The 'universe' of electronics is pretty large.

The idea of 'building blocks' sounds good but what if the input and output parameters aren't compatible with another block.  Not understanding the design of the bits and pieces makes integration difficult.

Electronics, as a whole, is hard!  That's why it takes 150 units of coursework spread over 5 years to even begin to get a handle on it.  And then there is grad school where  the focus is more limited but the depth is increased.

Just so.

TAoE is unrivalled in it area - that of taking a physics/electronics graduate and outlining what works well in practice, and why.

A different tack was taken by John Markus with his weighty tomes (remember them?) which I suspect can be found for free nowadays. I always disliked them since there was little curation in the selection, the circuits and their limitations weren't explained.

Offline Kagord

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 08:22:45 pm »
>>Shock
>>
>>The thread below describes what I wanted, if you can think of any source not provided let me know.
>>https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/circuit-building-blocks-for-absolute-beginners/

Eye Candy Here...
http://lushprojects.com/circuitjs/

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 11:35:28 pm »
Though it's not in book forum, the Falstad circuit simulator examples are probably the best I've seen.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 07:18:15 am »
Practical Electronics for Inventors is quite popular on EEVblog there are a few threads about it.The 4th edition seems the current one.

It should be called, a practical knowledge of electronics theory for everyone. That would be more accurate in my opinion. I don't think its a book on applied electronics. There is a chapter "Hands-on Electronics" but it's very light reading and more about a brief overview of construction and lab gear.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf