Author Topic: Book before AoE (art of electronics)  (Read 15846 times)

Offline SuperMiguelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Book before AoE (art of electronics)
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:09:41 am »
Can you guys recommend any book to read beforing reaidng AoE (since it is a bit advance) ??
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:11:22 am by SuperMiguel »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Book before AoE (art of electronics)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:48:51 am »
not really I've given up being screwed by writers who often seem to think they can write about any subject electronics included by simply copying out information from a number of other inaccurate books, stick with the art of electronics, if it is going over your head you might want to ask around the net or find an old school book second hand

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:57:36 am »
i think if your prepared to get a few basics under your belt and understand you may have to go back on sections as you understand others the AoE might not be so bad, I've started it myself but have jumped the end of BJT's as it's not my prime interest and I'll come back to it later

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:15:34 pm »
not really I've given up being screwed by writers who often seem to think they can write about any subject electronics included by simply copying out information from a number of other inaccurate books, stick with the art of electronics, if it is going over your head you might want to ask around the net or find an old school book second hand

Well on the art of electronics, i ahve only read the first chapter which has multiple equations, and it kinda bored me, making me not understand it.. So i stopped reading it, since i tough the hole book was going to be that boring...

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »
I have the AoE in .pdf format but I'd still like to get the book. The problem is that in the UK the book is over £100. Which in MY book (the book of life) is a bloody rip off!

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:07 pm »
SuperMiguel,
Getting Started in Electronics is good for beginners.

Read the thread I've linked to and check your private messages for more information.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 05:00:39 pm »

Well on the art of electronics, i ahve only read the first chapter which has multiple equations, and it kinda bored me, making me not understand it.. So i stopped reading it, since i tough the hole book was going to be that boring...

in the beginning, its the same to me. but later i think, if you have a specific area of interest, then this book should be one of the good reference.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Vexer

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »
I am currently working my way through this: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

alm

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:25 pm »
His definition of current flow is reversed compared what everyone else uses. Keep that in mind when talking with other people or reading information from other sources like the AoE, which will assume conventional current direction.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »
His definition of current flow is reversed compared what everyone else uses. Keep that in mind when talking with other people or reading information from other sources like the AoE, which will assume conventional current direction.

Who in the world would use anything other than the accepted current flows from positive to negative??? (although this is opposite the direction of electron movement (but they are really really slow movers in conductors anyway  ;) )

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:21:23 am »

Who in the world would use anything other than the accepted current flows from positive to negative??? (although this is opposite the direction of electron movement (but they are really really slow movers in conductors anyway  ;) )
to be honest, i like this new controversial way, its the true nature of the "physical" electrons, but.... that may be deserved for young players/people. I hope one day, people will converse this way, but... i dont think this is for us the older player, for now.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 02:57:05 am »
to be honest, i like this new controversial way, its the true nature of the "physical" electrons, but.... that may be deserved for young players/people. I hope one day, people will converse this way, but... i dont think this is for us the older player, for now.

Yes, we are the older generation.  Two quarters ago in one of my EE classes the professor was going over some review material and said conductance is measured in Siemens.  I was being silly and asked if we would get points off if we used "mhos" at which point the whole class started laughing thinking I was joking.  They still thought I was joking when I said we could use an upside down ohm symbol to represent it.  The prof was smiling though because he knew what I was talking about.  Are we really that old now?

alm

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 06:04:20 am »

But actual electrons are rarely important unless you're into things like vacuum tubes or semiconductor physics, so the fact that the convention doesn't agree with current physics is in my opinion not enough reason to confuse all newbies trying to combine information from both All About Circuits and other resources. Yes, someone in the past guessed wrong (he/she had 50% chance), but it's not like it's causing lots of troubles. Every EE knows that electrons move in the opposite direction of the current flow, and mentioning that in the first chapter would be quite sufficient. The cost/benefit ratio is just not there to support this decision. The cost is confusion, the benefit is smart-ass cred for the author.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 06:50:50 am »
I have the AoE in .pdf format but I'd still like to get the book. The problem is that in the UK the book is over £100. Which in MY book (the book of life) is a bloody rip off!

you can get them off amazon for under £50 I got mine for 40 and it's in good condition too

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:06 am »
I tend to use current flow in rare situations when there's a circuit with a negative supply and no positive.

Anyway, current actually flows in both directions: electrons may flow from positive to negative but holes (space where electrons should normally be) flow from positive to negative, which is always true, unless the electrons a flowing through a vacuum but that's not very common in today's equipment.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:18 pm »

you can get them off amazon for under £50 I got mine for 40 and it's in good condition too

Yea I've seen those mate, I'd prefer to get a new one though or at least one that's in mint condidtion and they're between £70 & £90. I'm sure that before I got back in to electronics they used to be on Amazon for around £45 - £50 (brand new.) I feel that somebody is trying to make easy money as they're running short on copy's.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 02:13:53 pm »
You can buy AOE on Amazon.de for 50€, shipping included. I have just reserved it (the is no stock until october 30).

• Regular Contributor

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:27 pm »

Yea I've seen those mate, I'd prefer to get a new one though or at least one that's in mint condidtion and they're between £70 & £90. I'm sure that before I got back in to electronics they used to be on Amazon for around £45 - £50 (brand new.) I feel that somebody is trying to make easy money as they're running short on copy's.

well mine was in pretty good condition infact very well kept, a very worth while compromise on the huge saving. I bought my hard copy so that I can carry it around so no point in having a book so perfect I'd be scared to take it out of the house

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:09 pm »
any input on this book : http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Self-Teaching-Guide-Teaching-Guides/dp/0470289619

read the description, you already need to know a thing or two, sounds like a get out of jail clause for a poorly written book. As for being 30 years old, well try reading mike predco's monument of a cockup (which has been around a while also and has reached it's third edition), his book is revered by many but really I can't see all the hoo haa and frankly want a book that gives me facts not dribble about how he prefers to do things and what his standard technique is: that's something he can blog about, yea actually that's a good description of his book, one massive blog and we know what they are worth !

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »

But the thing is, the guy completely missed the point. Current is not electron flow. Current is an abstract concept based on the movement of electric charges, positive charges in the case of current. Reversing the current flow immediately brings you in trouble with other quantities, such as the orientation of a magnetic field (right-hand rule).

Don't forget the ampere is an SI base unit and an incredible amount of stuff is derived from these base units.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »
Current, in the case of the Ampere, is literally dC/dt or coulombs/s.  When using Amperes like in conventional electronics its not a directional vector quantity, like a current density which you might encounter in plasma physics which would typically have the units of (electron#/volume/time) with a direction.  

If shafri was flying around in a circle with a charge of 1 coulomb at a rate of 1 rotation per second than the current at any point on that circle would be 1 amp, regardless of what is carrying that charge and in which direction.

In a hierarchal sense, a measurement of current in Amps is devoid of direction.  As long as your reference of flow is constant throughout your analysis and you take into consideration the behavior of field controlled devices you can arrive at the same conclusions regardless of what the actual electrons are doing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:24:54 pm by Time »
-Time

Offline Rhythmtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:05 pm »
Awww, many fond memories of Forrest Mimms Getting Started in Electronics

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf