Author Topic: Book before AoE (art of electronics)  (Read 15863 times)

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Book before AoE (art of electronics)
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 10:57:17 pm »
I was just flipping back through Chapter 1 of AoE and I see what you mean.  It starts off simple enough talking about voltage and resistance, then jumps around to tunnel diodes before touching on capacitors, then it slams you with complex number impedance and reactance.  I could see how this could be a bit much for a person who was just starting.  :-[

But if you quit on chapter 1, you don't get to meet "transistor man" in all his glory.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »
But if you quit on chapter 1, you don't get to meet "transistor man" in all his glory.

You'd also miss the long tailed pair! :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 06:59:21 am »
I was just flipping back through Chapter 1 of AoE and I see what you mean.  It starts off simple enough talking about voltage and resistance, then jumps around to tunnel diodes before touching on capacitors, then it slams you with complex number impedance and reactance.  I could see how this could be a bit much for a person who was just starting.  :-[

Yea i noticed that the book made a rather stony start, I think that in trying to make it simple they just made it harder, hec the physics of electricity is not rocket science and if learning it gets you started then that's how it should be explained, if your thinking of doing electronics should should know what an atom is.

Offline quantumfall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 01:47:50 pm »
I used to read books from Bernard Babani publishing.  They do good books to learn from, with simple basic circuit building blocks, a bit like a tandy electronics kit manual.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

You'd also miss the long tailed pair! :)
Isn't transistor man in chapter1? Only read the first couple of pages so far but takes me back to my apprentice days and the long nights at tech. Happy days
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:28 am »
Does anyone have the 'Full' AoE as a .pdf they'd be willing to share please? I've got a copy of my own but It's become corrupt & the first few sections are missing :(

Thanks guys

orb

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:59 am »
Something I've mentioned before but here goes again

Lessons in Electric Circuits http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/index.htm

All the pdf books can be fitted on a memory stick and are regularly updated/amended.

David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

alm

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 11:47:05 am »
Isn't transistor man in chapter1? Only read the first couple of pages so far but takes me back to my apprentice days and the long nights at tech. Happy days
Nah, transistor man is chapter 2. Chapter 1 starts with some pretty complex stuff for a beginner (including fun like complex math), but at least the transistor is saved for chapter 2 ;).

Does anyone have the 'Full' AoE as a .pdf they'd be willing to share please? I've got a copy of my own but It's become corrupt & the first few sections are missing :(
I don't think using this forum for copyright infringement is a good plan if you don't want Dave to get in trouble. Most forums forbid illegal behavior in the forum rules for a reason (don't think this forum has any written rules or policy, except possibly SMF defaults which probably does forbid it).

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 11:48:13 am »

[/quote]
Just Checked and Transistor man is indeed in chapter 2.As it says in my avatar easily confused! :-X
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »
Thanks guys
orb
if you let your email "NOT hidden", that will be much easier ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 12:31:26 pm »
Thanks guys
orb
Check your private messages.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »
Much appreciated guys, thanks :)

if you let your email "NOT hidden", that will be much easier ;)

Thanks shafri but I've got it now :)

John
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:24:15 pm by orbiter »

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 03:28:45 pm »
Can I have one of those PM? ;)
Thanks.

Offline M84AB1

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 10:34:58 am »
For me personally, AoE was a bit of a let down. I was expecting more practical examples but instead I got alot of concept and theory. No surprise though after reading in the first chapter that they attempted to create a book that utilizes little to no mathematics (however that is supposed to work!?! no mathematics in an engineering field  :o) So keep that in mind. If you are like me and want practical examples with the theory then you are better off going with something like 'Electronics' by Allan R. Hambley. Its great for beginners, covers all the relevant topics and is very easy to read and follow. Moderate mathematics skills are required though. So if maths is not your thing then you are better off with AoE.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »
When I was training we had to Prove certain Laws.This consisted of pages of squiggles, you never understood(fully) the theory or the proof but learned it (parrot fasion) to pass your Exams.Once passed you never brought it to mind or found a reason to use it, a total waste of time in my experience.The approximation techniques you learn are valid for most cases and prove to be the most useful in the field.As a maintenance tech design is not my forte but I need to understand and often "bodge" to effect a repair, this is were the true learning come in and exposes the different mind sets between design and function.
MOONDOG

Offline SuperMiguelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 11:37:27 am »
Something I've mentioned before but here goes again

Lessons in Electric Circuits http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/index.htm

All the pdf books can be fitted on a memory stick and are regularly updated/amended.

are those books any good? they seem to be a bit outdated

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 09:33:13 pm »
The basic principles never go out of date. The books are open and a collaboratively developed text as stated so any mistakes are corrected as they are found. The AoE hasn't been updated in a while and takes up a lot of space on a bookshelf (or in a bag). I've no vested interest in mentioning the books. Just thought I'd share with the forum.

David.

P.S I have a copy of the AoE and it's still nice to read from a real book.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 12:25:29 pm »
I have the AoE on .pdf but have just received the 'real' book too. It's great just being able to grab the book for reference when your fiddling around with your projects.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »
I have the AoE on .pdf but have just received the 'real' book too. It's great just being able to grab the book for reference when your fiddling around with your projects.
most importantly, i can just make 3-4 bookmarks with my fingers and flip to each of them very very quickly! and no eye sore due to light emitted by lcd + Hz refresh rate. When i design thing like Kindle next time.... i'll include this kind of feature.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Markybhoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »
SuperMiguel this book is aimed at beginners,  just picked it up myself to start learning -

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596153755

Offline SuperMiguelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2010, 12:04:34 am »
the thing i hate about those kind of books is, that they tell you to use a 1k resistor, and a 100 nf capacitor, etc but they dont tell you why you need those specific values, and they dont teach the way you calculate those values.

Offline Markybhoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »
You can read a sample of the book I mentioned here -

http://cdn.makezine.com/make/shed/make_electronics_1.pdf

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »
I like the way they tell you how to take a potentiometer apart. That's the true engineering way of understanding things from the inside. I'm impressed!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf