Author Topic: ST Time of flight distance sensor and cone angle  (Read 1987 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ST Time of flight distance sensor and cone angle
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:47 am »
Has anyone had any luck in narrowing the acceptance angle of a ST time of flight distance sensor?
I bought a ST VL53L0X sensor which works well, but the emitter and receiver aren't focused,  they act like point sources/receivers.
http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/group3/b2/1e/33/77/c6/92/47/6b/DM00279086/files/DM00279086.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00279086.pdf
The diagram on page 30 show 25 deg and 30 degrees respectively.
Normal lenses appear to be unsuitable as you get light leaking from the emitter to the receiver.
http://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00326504.pdf
Even finding a protective window is a challenge, currently I'm using some kapton tape stuck directly onto the package.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: ST Time of flight distance sensor and cone angle
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:52 am »
Never done beam shaping but have used a flat glass window in front of a VL6180X which worked. The sensor was placed against the glass so reflection path is short, maybe ignores reflections as min sense distance is around 10mm. I also used reduced output power - maybe that would reduced your reflection issue. Good luck.

Offline Lytic

Re: ST Time of flight distance sensor and cone angle
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:43 am »
If you separate the two lenses totally all the way up, like putting one in each tube and ensure there is no point where the emitter and receiver are connected, you can focus the beam and get the signal strength increased many times. But be aware of ambient light.

An incandescent light or halogen light in the optic angle, causes the error "No Target", even at very few lux.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf