Electronics > Beginners

Brighter LED

(1/4) > >>

machinehead:
Hi All,

I need to replace a Bivar MPR5YD panel mount indicator with something brighter.
     The supply voltage is 450mVdc and this measurement is limiting my choices as to
     what devices I can use. On paper.

According to the MPR5YD datasheet the Vf is 2 and the mcd is 4.
     Should I look for an LED with the same Vf and higher mcd or approach this from
     another slant?

I would like to keep this simple and just make the swap, but if not I'm open to
     suggestions. One method I'm considering is using an SS relay along with an external
     (solar) power source.

Thanks for your time

Jwillis:
millicandela (mcd) is the intensity . One thousand mcd =1 candela so the higher the number the brighter the intensity.

The MPR5YD is 40 mcd not 4 . Probably a typo .
You may be able yo just swap out but make sure the maximum current is equal to or greater. You may have to recalculate any series resistor .

JustMeHere:
The answer is one line above on the datasheet:  https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/50/MPR5XX-880393.pdf

Bivar MPR5YD  In that part number the D stands for diffused.   The one above it is clear.  The diffused one is 25 mcd and the clear one is 40 mcd.  Look at MPR5YC.

rdl:
How are you getting this number?

I don't think I've ever seen an LED that would actually light up at only 450 mV

--- Quote from: machinehead on May 11, 2021, 02:24:42 am ---The supply voltage is 450mVdc and this measurement is limiting my choices as to what devices I can use.

--- End quote ---

james_s:
The supply voltage is 450mV? That doesn't sound right, even the lowest voltage visible LEDs I'm aware of have a forward drop of something like 1.2V. How did you arrive at that value?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version