Author Topic: Buck regulator  (Read 478 times)

Offline gsingh11Topic starter

• Contributor
Buck regulator
« on: January 27, 2023, 02:40:37 am »
Hi, I am using a wall adapter that supplies up to 6A output current. and I am using a buck regulator LM2596 to step down to 5V for a microcontroller. Is the 6A an issue for the buck regulator?

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: Buck regulator
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 07:04:23 am »
For a buck regulator the current will only be an issue when it is actually flowing and it is not rated for such a current. The input voltage is more of an issue. It should be within the range of what the regulator can handle. Find the datasheet of the LM2596 and look at the characteristics for what it can handle.

The answer is in your own writing already. The supply can deliver up to 6A.

Offline bidrohini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 07:59:34 am »
The maximum output current of the wall adapter is not an issue for the LM2596 buck regulator as long as the input voltage to the regulator is within its specified range and the maximum output current of the regulator is not exceeded. However, you should ensure that the maximum current draw of your microcontroller does not exceed the maximum output current of the LM2596, which is typically 3A.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 06:34:53 pm »
The load, i.e. buck regulator or whatever, will only draw as much current as it needs.

Often it's necessary to have some over-current protection, such as a fuse or circuit breaker, but in this case, your power supply is probably current limited. If you were using it to power a lower current circuit then it would be required.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf