Author Topic: Building my First DC Power Supply - Planning on using a Riden RD6024  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Finger MulletTopic starter

Ok, first off I'm a thermodynamic engineer not electrical and I am a manager for a manufacturer of pollution control equipment for power plants, factories and such .  I can read a wiring diagram, well somewhat, I got electrical guys for that and we do build control panels for our equipment.  My job is to make sure our equipment will work for our customer both thermodynamically and chemically for emissions.

Now this has nothing to do with work, I want to make a nice hobby DC power supply.  I don't even own an oscilloscope yet.  I have seen several threads on this forum about this RD6024 and variations of it.  But the discussions are way beyond my skill set and it seemed inappropriate to ask my simple questions on one of those threads.  So here we go.

I just recently ordered a RD6024, no box or power supply. It is enroute from China and I am supposed to get it in a couple weeks. So I need to get a power supply, been looking at a ZJIVNV 1500w power supply, seems decent. It is on Amazon right now for $135, link below. The two obvious choices seem to be what they claim to be the 60v/25a and the 72v/20a, yeah their math for watts is not spot on. Both types claim to be adjustable +/- up to 15% on the volts. Which way would you go, I'm leaning to the 72v and adjust it down a bit....I assume the Watts would remain constant and the potential amps would go up a bit, turning it down to say 68v.

https://www.amazon.com/ZJIVNV-Switching-Supply-Output-110VAC/dp/B0BC9L1NB3/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3TFTZ88F034WN&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1677972093&s=merchant-items&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1

Now for the interesting part, I plan on putting the RD6024 in a little box that can accept two different power sources. One from the above ZJIVNV or some other 1500w source and also a 12.6v 25a XT60 connection on my 2kw portable power station. The reason for this is simple, most of the time I will use the RD6024 will be for low amp purposes and no need for a 1500w supply except to charge batteries or make a good sized motor spin, 315w is plenty for most bench work and such and providing a nice quiet power source for my radio if I need it. So I already bought this buck boost to bump up the XT60 connection to 60v or so for low amp stuff. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Maybe a nice 48v battery source in the future someday for the XT60 connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NM52VV5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC-DC Converter Module Boost DC Step Up Voltage Regulator CV Stabilizer Power Supply Module 10-60V to 12-97V 1500W 30A

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 11:24:50 pm by Finger Mullet »

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
I have a 6012 for a while and i can say the 60v psu is enough, as there has been issues with users meeting that 60v input(parts blowing), my system itself(RD6012) is 24v 10A with a option for 48v 3A should i need a higher than 23v output but in general hobby i've never needed more that 17v for 99% of the stuff i 'play' with.
On the input side i initially went with xt60 myself  but then I added a relay powered by the 1st input , so the internal 24v psu powers a 24v relay which then routes the power to my 6012, when unpowered the relay routes to external barrel jack point for the 48v (24v relay was simple choice here as i had many, 48v had none)
relay is DPDT type with external flyback diode so i didnt have accidental relay reversed spike into the 6012 .

I recently have been eyeing my unit again as i want to add 6S lipo battery pack as a option too so a third relay will be needed and also on battery input positive I will have a diode inline this serving two purposes, one is dropping the voltage a tad from the 6S lipo's nominal 26v and other is short time polarity protection if i forget the battery is attached with external power , am using relays as they give me better isolation over a solid state option(leakage is a issue here)  and fast blow glass fuses on each input before relay , i did consider a sliding switch but chose cascade relays as a sliding switch cant carry much current and i wanted a little auto switching so the external of the box has no protrusions , to lazy to make special covers and protections.

Sadly the 6024 has not had it's keys extracted yet so there is no custom firmware so for now use only official firmware.

darkspr1te

The following users thanked this post: Finger Mullet

That was a better response than I was expecting.  Nice.  60v it is, no reason to push the Riden, probably gonna back off the 60v setting a bit anyway as I was concerned about over-voltage protection.  I assume since you did not comment on the Brand and Model it is acceptable.

I do plan on using it at higher voltages, 36 and 48v toys for the grandkids whom are actually getting old enough for such things.  Gotta spoil them a bit and make my kids wonder why I never did such things for them. 

Now the part with DPDT relay and adding a diode is kinda genius, I was wondering how to isolate my two or possibly three (one day) inputs.  I had to google a bit on Stack Exchange to fully understand your approach.  Seems odd DPDT relays don't appear to come with diodes as an option for higher amp applications or I just don't know where to look.  Only downside is I have to spec some diodes and glass fuses.  Good things in life are never turn key.

Thanks darkspr1te.

btw, I would luv to see a pic or two of your setup.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
That ZJIVNV 1500w power supply sounds interesting, if it's built good. Ignoring that, for the price I should get something like that. I have 1 old transformer, that has a bunch of wingdings and possible voltages under 200V, but I don't really trust that, and it weighs a ton.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
avoid any Chinese 1500w psu.

Perhaps a vintage HP, Lambda Wil be more reliable

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

avoid any Chinese 1500w psu.

Perhaps a vintage HP, Lambda Wil be more reliable

j

jonpaul, I plan on getting a old school linear power supply in the future along with an oscilloscope.   But right now I am looking on making something light and portable to just get started with and make some simple toys.  I didn't want to get one of those cheap desktop things you see on eBay and Amazon.  I just want to learn a little and have some fun, btw I saw your link for Tektronix "Concepts" Series Books, good stuff, already printed out "Digital Concepts" and "Power Supply Circuits" on my old school bullet proof laser printer.

Since this is the beginner section I'm posting the link, must read stuff.   http://www.davmar.org/TE/TekConcepts/

Now since I am going to use a Chinese switching power supply, what can I just buy off the shelf to put between it and the RD6024 to protect it from voltage spikes, which supposedly this Riden is susceptible to for my application.   A link from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I fixed the Amazon link to the power supply above.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 02:01:57 am by Finger Mullet »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Finger:

Bravo for your efforts.

Over the decades we found

1/ Old 1970s..1990 HP/Lampbs analog metered linear lab PSSU are most useful in the lab.

Many are dual or triple eg 0-20V +/- and 5V fixed.

On eaby $40..100, at Ham Radio fleas $10..50.

2/ Occasionally a silent key or old electroince passes on and lab sold off on local forums/lists like Craig List.

3/ DIY PSU easy to make mains trsf><Rect/cap><power linear reg

See Nat Semi/Lin Tech app notes.

4/ No idea re your commets Riden Chinese, I do NOT recommend ANY SMPS for lab use.

A SMPS that is susceptible to transients is junk.

Bon Chance

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Wallace Gasiewicz

Offline Kosh A. Magosh

Did you ever find an answer to the question about where to get parts to finish this mod? I have recently assembled an RD6024 and saw your thread. I might consider doing the same.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf