Author Topic: Building Quick Disconnects for My New Bench Power Supply  (Read 1511 times)

Offline DW1961Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Building Quick Disconnects for My New Bench Power Supply
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:06:35 am »

What parts do you all suggest to build a set of quick change leads for my bench supply? I don't mind buying the leads and ends, but it's hard to find a set that rate at 10 amps. All the shit (meant literally) out there is a race to the bottom, including amperage.

I have some 18 AWG silicon wire and I'd like suggestions for the ends.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Building Quick Disconnects for My New Bench Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 05:44:57 am »
I use Pomona banana plugs at the supply end.   At the device end, I use what seems appropriate.  It is rarely a banana plug.  Some of my leads are terminated in header (0.025" square) pins, some the matching sockets, and some hook clips.  The pins are used mostly to supply solderless breadboards.   For small devices, I prefer sockets with female contacts that match header pins on the device.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:12 pm »
Yep , Pomona 72930 sockets go to 35A and so do 7909 jacks
Use 11 gauge or lower. See your auto elelctrician for something flexi.

Offline DW1961Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 05:43:02 pm »
I meant I want to make some leads that allow the use of quick connect test ends, like hooks, probes, and clamps. that would be a male to male lead, right? And I would need the male ends to be non-insulated to fit the female insulated test ends? Or would the end for the quick connect test ends be an insulated male?

I want to be able to quickly change these type of test ends:

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 06:33:32 pm »
Not too quickly - you need time to double check your PSU setting and avoid silly / destructive mistakes.

You also want more colours than just Red and Black - I've been caught out by mistaking the leads from wrong output of a dual output PSU before now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:35:57 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline BILLPOD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 07:09:19 pm »
Good Morning DW,
     This is an opportunity for you to get that real nice set of
leads for one of your DMMs, and use the existing leads for
your power supply. :-/O

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 04:12:25 am »
These are rated for 20 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/DCFun-Alligator-Terminal-Electrical-Crocodile/dp/B076Y2HW5G

Google search: xx amp clamp

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 04:14:20 pm »

What parts do you all suggest to build a set of quick change leads for my bench supply? I don't mind buying the leads and ends, but it's hard to find a set that rate at 10 amps. All the shit (meant literally) out there is a race to the bottom, including amperage.
What makes you think that?!? A cursory look at any halfway decent test lead (that's what they're called, not "quick change leads") manufacturer catalog shows that this is in no way true.

Pomona: https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/sites/default/files/2074413g-en-2019_Pomona_Catalog_w.pdf
(note that no current is stated for most of the multimeter leads, but since they're intended for use on multimeters with 10A current ranges, they are definitely capable of handling it — Pomona is owned by Fluke)
Stäubli: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/TM_TM-Main-11014124_(en)_hi.pdf
SKS/Hirschmann: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/TM_TM-Main-11014124_(en)_hi.pdf
Probe Master: https://probemaster.com/dmm-multimeter-test-leads/
Cal Test: https://app.caltestelectronics.com/product-list/Test%20Leads/0/
Mueller Electric: https://www.muellerelectric.com/docs/MuellerCatalog.pdf

All of these except Probe Master sell loose connectors you can use to build leads however you want. I like Stäubli and Hirschmann for cables built "permanently", whereas Pomona's screw-mounted plugs (like model 1825) are my go-to for temporary cable assemblies. (I often lash up a temporary version first, and if I find it's something I use a lot, I migrate it to a permanent build later.)

I meant I want to make some leads that allow the use of quick connect test ends, like hooks, probes, and clamps. that would be a male to male lead, right? And I would need the male ends to be non-insulated to fit the female insulated test ends? Or would the end for the quick connect test ends be an insulated male?

(Attachment Link)
That's a safety banana socket (female). It'll accept both safety (shrouded) and unshrouded banana plugs (male). For a DC bench supply under 60V, unshrouded is fine. Above that, I'd really use the shrouded type. (The shrouded type also have the advantage of not shorting out if they're flopping around on the bench.)

You can also get retractable-shroud plugs that are shrouded in safety sockets, but unshrouded in non-safety sockets. They tend to be a bit bulky, and cost more, but are very versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/DCFun-Alligator-Terminal-Electrical-Crocodile/dp/B076Y2HW5G

As a general rule, it's a good idea to read and understand the whole thread before replying. That way you don't suggest something entirely irrelevant...

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 10:16:17 pm »

As a general rule, it's a good idea to read and understand the whole thread before replying. That way you don't suggest something entirely irrelevant...

There's no reason for this response.  I did read it.  Did you?

I meant I want to make some leads that allow the use of quick connect test ends, like hooks, probes, and clamps.

The word clamp is actually used.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 10:22:57 pm »

I meant I want to make some leads that allow the use of quick connect test ends, like hooks, probes, and clamps.

:palm:

Oy gevalt… you may have looked at the words, but you clearly didn’t understand them. In the very post you cite, the OP goes on to include a picture to illustrate that he’s after the banana cables.

As I said, as a general rule, it’s a good idea to read and understand what’s being asked. Apparently it’s doubly necessary to spell this out for you…

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 01:24:01 am »

:palm:

Oy gevalt… you may have looked at the words, but you clearly didn’t understand them. In the very post you cite, the OP goes on to include a picture to illustrate that he’s after the banana cables.

As I said, as a general rule, it’s a good idea to read and understand what’s being asked. Apparently it’s doubly necessary to spell this out for you…

You must have something better to do that trolling on these forums.  I've read some of.yournother posts

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 01:43:28 am »
Some banana to banana are useful. Pomona (or other brand) banana to Mini Grabbers/Micro Grabbers/SMD Grabbers type always come in handy. I use them a lot. Beyond that it's pretty much make or buy as as needed. It's not the kind of thing you can really plan ahead for. Eventually, if you continue on in electronics you'll end up with more interconnect cables than you know what to do with.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 07:36:08 am »
Can we cool it please.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 04:42:10 am »

(Attachment Link)

Honestly if you expect to ever use those test leads in higher voltage applications order a proper test lead set.   Make sure the set uses sheathed Banana plugs.    I'm not a big fan of DIY test leads when working on higher voltage or high power systems, it is too easy to create a ball of plasma.

Now if you are working only with lower voltages there are a variety of solutions but for power supplies the number one approach is Banana jacks.    There are a number of suppliers of such hardware so it often comes down to making a choice based on looks.   Some suppliers:
  • Keystone
  • Ponoma
  • Cal Test
  • Staubli
  • Mueller Electric
  • E-Z Hook

That is an extremely short list, there are many manufactures of such goods.    As far as test lead parts most of the above also supply such parts.   Funny thing here is that I just ordered a Keystone 4109 for a little project at work, so I reviewed a few similar from other manufactures.   Went with the Keystone due to prior good experience plus the binding post has a hex form.   While you don't want to crank down on these sorts of posts, the hex is really a life saver if arthritis is impacting your ability to grip.  Oh by the way if 10 amps is in your future I'd want to use heavier wire. 

Now if I was doing a power supply today I might not go the Banana jack route.   It depends upon the intended use but a plugable terminal strip might be a better choice.   Something like: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/phoenix-contact/1898842/2525253 for the panel along with mating connectors for wire.   There are advantages either way, but a plugable terminal strip can be more compact, prevents polarity reversal especially with preassembled fixtures and in this case provides 3 wires in one plug.   So a question like this requires some thought about intended usage of the supply.   If you expect to be swapping setups a lot I'd go with terminal strip solution like this for low voltage and a more robust solution for higher voltages.

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 05:06:14 am »

What makes you think that?!? A cursory look at any halfway decent test lead (that's what they're called, not "quick change leads") manufacturer catalog shows that this is in no way true.

He shops almost exclusively on Amazon, where he can get stuff for free in exchange for reviews..

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 09:10:24 am »

I have some 18 AWG silicon wire and I'd like suggestions for the ends.

what voltage are we talking? I have a 60V 50A supply so it can't really hurt me. I'd have some of the usual 4mm-4mm and 4mm- crocodile leads around for small stuff but above 5A really it's make up what you need for the test. Standardization in an environment that is meant to deal with "anything" is a bit of a contradiction. I have a metal box with 5 red and 5 black 30A 4mm sockets with all the blacks joined and all the reds joined. The top unscrews so that I can clamp open ring terminals and also 4mm plugs in the side or wire so once I have this plugged into the supply I have options to connect anything from the smallest stripped wire to 8mm terminals.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:33:00 am by Simon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf