Author Topic: Bus Pirate  (Read 7802 times)

Offline SuperMiguelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bus Pirate
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:15 am »
Any of you guys use the Bus Pirate? whats the point of it? i know it can be use as a very slow scope, a programmer and a logic analizer... But the documentation states that is not good at any of this 3.. So whats the point of it?  what can you do with it
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:36:52 am by SuperMiguel »

alm

Re: Bus Pirate
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:32 am »
I use it mainly for serial interfaces like 1-wire, I2C, SPI. For example, I recently used it to read and program an I2C EEPROM. Sure, I could have hooked up a micro and spend some time writing a program and debugging it, but a finished product is nicer and faster. I believe the original intent was to allow quick prototyping and experimentation with new devices/sensors. The terminal-like interface is much faster than re-programming a micro each time you want to change some setting like speed or polarity.

Offline gonnafail

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:04 am »
I have one and it is one of my favorite pieces of kit. When ever I am working with a new IC I will connect it to the bus pirate and use that to step through initialization sequence and get the chip up and running. I find that datasheets are always lacking a section that simply and clearly states that to get the IC working do X then Y followed by Z. Some trial and error is always needed and so I do this trial and error with the bus pirate. Then when I am confident about the operation programming the micro is easy as I have an understanding of what needs to be done. It is also really nice for troubleshooting circuits, if you are having problems with a circuit not working quite right you can connect it up to sections of the circuit and use it in place of the micro. So you can connect it up and verify that the circuit is good then you know the issue is in the micro. For I think was $30, it is the most bang for buck device I own.
I have no affiliation with the product just a very happy customer.

Offline SuperMiguelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:20:29 am »
I have one and it is one of my favorite pieces of kit. When ever I am working with a new IC I will connect it to the bus pirate and use that to step through initialization sequence and get the chip up and running. I find that datasheets are always lacking a section that simply and clearly states that to get the IC working do X then Y followed by Z. Some trial and error is always needed and so I do this trial and error with the bus pirate. Then when I am confident about the operation programming the micro is easy as I have an understanding of what needs to be done. It is also really nice for troubleshooting circuits, if you are having problems with a circuit not working quite right you can connect it up to sections of the circuit and use it in place of the micro. So you can connect it up and verify that the circuit is good then you know the issue is in the micro. For I think was $30, it is the most bang for buck device I own.
I have no affiliation with the product just a very happy customer.

is there a guide on how to actually do that?

Offline gonnafail

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:29 am »
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate

That is the link to Bus Pirate section of Dangerous Prototypes. They design the Bus Pirate. From that page you can get to the manual, tutorials, examples, anything you would need to know.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:57:49 am »
Doesn't hackaday have something similar to this?  or I am confused?
-Time

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:06:54 am »
As the name implies, I believe it's primarily a bus sniffer/decoder. I2C, SPI, RS232, that kind of stuff.

Dave.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:12 am »
This is what I am thinking of:  http://code.google.com/p/the-bus-pirate/

Its the same thing that gonnafail posted.  It comes from the guys over at HackADay.  If I am wrong I am sure someone here won't be slow to correct me.

Browse these hackaday posts: http://hackaday.com/author/ianlesnet/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:28:16 am by Time »
-Time

Offline gonnafail

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 06:01:46 am »
As the name implies, I believe it's primarily a bus sniffer/decoder. I2C, SPI, RS232, that kind of stuff.

That is exactly its use. It is nothing revolutionary. At my work we use the Aardvark which is another product that is similar, has a much nicer user interface but costs a lot more and the functionality is limited compared to the bus pirate. I am sure there are others products like this out there as well.

Doesn't hackaday have something similar to this?  or I am confused?

I do not really know the details on this but I believe it was Ian Lesnet who created the bus pirate. Ian Lesnet was formerly a blogger for Hackaday and so there were posts on that site about the product. Dangerous prototypes is possibly Ian's own site? or at least one where he is the main contributer. The development and information on the Bus Pirate are on that site.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:55:20 pm »
Ah, well he says "we" made the bus pirate or "our" bus pirate so I figured it was a group effort. 
-Time

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »
I find it a very useful piece of kit. It isn't too flashy, but it is only $28 assembled, which is a bargain.

It natively works with I2C, SPI etc. which is very useful for quickly getting up to speed with hardware. The 2-wire and 3-wire binary mode is really handy to quickly implement non-standard debug/programming interfaces.

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:38:33 pm »
This is the kind of thing a Bus Pirate is useful for - I'm trying to access the debug port in a consumer device with a CC1110 RF SoC inside it. Although I've only had limited success so far, it hasn't taken much effort...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf