Electronics > Beginners

Buying wire

<< < (9/9)

tooki:

--- Quote from: msknight on June 16, 2021, 08:43:33 pm ---I can't use spades because I'm jamming in decent arcade buttons with micro switches, into a case designed for shallow, lower quality buttons. The micro switches are nearly hitting the bottom of the case already. I don't have the headroom... unless I bend the LED spades sideways a bit..... hmmm...

--- End quote ---
Or use the “flag” style right-angle spade connectors designed precisely for this purpose. (Admittedly, they’re not as ubiquitous as the regular style, but still readily available from electronics distributors as well as AliExpress etc.)

A few styles of these are visible in the attached photo:

msknight:
Well well... flag spades... I learn something new every day! Many thanks to you both, posting within a couple of minutes of each other.

mindcrime:

--- Quote from: msknight on June 17, 2021, 06:39:42 pm ---Well well... flag spades... I learn something new every day!

--- End quote ---

You and me both. I've been dabbling with electronics as a hobby for 35 some odd years now, and I don't think I'd ever seen those "flag" spades until today.

Obligatory XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1053/

james_s:
They're all over the place, very common in appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, air conditioners, and other equipment. I've seen them quite a few times inside consumer electronics too, such as where the line cord connects to the PCB.

tooki:

--- Quote from: msknight on June 17, 2021, 06:39:42 pm ---Well well... flag spades... I learn something new every day! Many thanks to you both, posting within a couple of minutes of each other.

--- End quote ---
You’re very welcome!

Oh yeah, I meant to say above but forgot: FYI, as you might imagine, the flag terminals are not at all compatible with a crimping tool for the regular kind. A decent AliExpress one should do fine for non-critical applications like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version