Author Topic: 3 phase matrix  (Read 1841 times)

Offline midasgossyeTopic starter

• Contributor
3 phase matrix
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:11:28 pm »
Can anyone help me with the following problem please?

Recently, I took an old external CD player apart. I hacked the draw opening system and hooked it up to an arduino with a motorshield.
Also I wanted to control the "spindle". The motor that spins the CD.
After some research I discovered it was a small 3 phase motor.
The chip that was driving this used a 3 phase matrix. Chip N° BD7902FS (datasheet in attachment)
I don't know what that means.
Is it possible to drive this kind of motor with an arduino?

Greetings,
Midas
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:18:15 pm by midasgossye »

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
Re: 3 phase matrix
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:18:59 am »
These are just DC brushless motors with 3 windings in the body of the motor, and permanent magnets on the shaft. Each winding is driven by a PWM signal, and the PWM signals are out of phase, i.e. one signals leads the next signal which leads the next signal.  This causes a rotating magnetic field around the core, which pushes on the magnets of the shaft and cause it to rotate.  The speed and direction of rotation are controlled by the pwm and the order in which the windings are energized.

The phase matrix is simply a 3-phase full-bridge controller consisting of 6 MOSFETs.  This lets the controller provide acceleration torque and deceleration torque in both forward and reverse directions.  This is known as 4 quadrant operation.

There are many different algorithms for controlling the 6 pwm signals needed. You should read up on 3-phase DC motor control theory and about the PWM algorithms in particular.  The algorithms cover the wave shapes, the transition times, PWM frequencies, etc... everything needed to get the motor going in the direction you want at the speed you want with the amount of torque needed.

Whether or not you can control this with the Arduino depends on the arduino having a 3-phase full bridge and 6 available pwm outputs. Or a shield for that. I don't know anything Arduino so I can't help there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf