Author Topic: Long Banana Leads or Extensions?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline XplodeTopic starter

• Contributor
Long Banana Leads or Extensions?
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:47:48 am »
I am still messing around with setting up my desk/bench and I have a PSU off to my left, but I often have things all over my desk and sometimes they're further away than 36" especially if I want to route the cable around the back of the desk so its not across my lap.

long story short, I've been looking around online for a decent quality set of Banana to Alligator leads (or just banana extensions!) that are longer.  something in the 5' range would be awesome.   Or even some 36" extensions, but I'd really like to get the kind with the red and black wires joined together so I don't have more loose cables on the desk...    Also, decent guage wire so if I'm pulling 5A down for something, I don't have to worry about extra loss at low voltages.

I suppose a less lazy way would be to mount a little distribution panel with some banana jacks on that side of the desk and wire it up to the supply, but I'd like the leads for now instead.

Thoughts, suggestions??
Thanks guys!

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Long Banana Leads or Extensions?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17:02 am »
Make your own, you get the length you want, the quality of cable you want, and the type of fittings you want.

Silicone type wire with high (tinned copper) strand count make for nice flexible test leads.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:25:32 pm »
I just bought some banana-to-banana leads from Cal Test (mentioned in another thread on this forum). High quality and a bit pricey. I didn't want 10 of a single color, so I had to order from Test Path, one of their distributors. Amazon.com also carries several Cal Test items. The stacking banana with retractable safety sleeve is very nice.

Offline mstoer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 05:28:14 pm »
I bought some Elenco brand banana-minigrabber leads off Amazon last year and they are OK.  The leads themselves are not as flexible as I'd like, but the grabbers are OK and the banana plugs stack.  I make banana extensions/patchcords with silicone rubber stranded wire (192/41) made for test leads by Pomona (bought from Digikey).  I wish the Elenco leads had used that wire.

So I vote buy some basic stuff and make the rest.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:27:08 pm »
Make your own, you get the length you want, the quality of cable you want, and the type of fittings you want.

Silicone type wire with high (tinned copper) strand count make for nice flexible test leads.
This.

Franky (iloveelectronics) has good cable for an honest price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf